• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

~i think they owe me money~

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

draderman

hello - canadian here from BC :confused:
im seeking information on how to inquire about a policy my father had with metlife. he had a car accident in 1990 when i was 11 and was unable to care for me from that point forward do to extensive brain damage. im not sure of the specifics of his insurance, but im suspicious that no funds were paid out to myself after the accident. i know he recieved $100,000 in benifits after the accident, im wondering if i should contact metlife or a lawyer, as i do not wish to consult with his executor, who gained power of his estate after the accident. any information on how i should proceed would be much appreciated.

draderman

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Canadian law and US law are not the same, and no one here knows Canadian law. That is why the site says, US Law Only.

You will need to talk to a BC attorney.

Dandy Don

Contact Metlife yourself--as a family member they will probably go ahead and give you information. And you also need to visit the probate court in your area to look at your father's probate file to see exactly how his estate was handled.

Are you implying that your father or the executor or whoever had control of this money didn't use it for your care/living expenses?

If you are referring to a life insurance policy on your father, that would be separate from any damages he got as a settlement for his medical injuries.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

As indicated by Dandy Don, if you are referring to a life ins. policy on your father's life, usually nothing is paid at the time of an accident to the insured. The full policy proceeds (minus any policy loans & interest if there were any) should have been paid out, at the time of your father's death, to the named beneficiary. (if the policy was in force at the time of his death)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">