• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i told them his work number, did i make a mistake?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bneefreak

What is the name of your state? ct
i was trying to make a deal with a debtor for my husband and gave them my husband's work number. they did not accept what i offered (50% of the debt) are they now going to garnish his wages. is there anyone i can call on see a website where i can see what the laws are?

Ladynred

One more thing.. don't EVER try to deal with a collector over the phone, its useless. They may sound like they're agreeing, but if you don't get it in writing from them, then they will very conveniently 'forget' that you ever made a 'deal'. Do everything in writing, use good old snail mail only, send everything certified return receipt reqested.

As Nailtech said, they have to go thru a legal process before they could take your husbands wages, and you would be notified of their legal maneuverings.

You also need to read up on the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) and learn your rights when dealing with collectors as well as the things that they can NOT do or say to you.

www.ftc.gov, click on Consumer Proctection, then Credit, look for the FDCPA pages.

bneefreak

thanks for all the links.
i just feel so overwhelmed with everything that is going on.
what happens if they do take us to court? i am no longer working, going 2 school full time so we are going 2 b living on 1 income. the accounts were all before we got married (before i even knew him). once i graduate will they try to take some of my money as well? the cards are not in my name at all.

he has a judgement? (stipulation is what it says on the paper) can he file for bankruptcy and that be taken off? by the time we pay off the judgement it will be 7 years. that judgement will make us not be able to get a home so perhaps he should just file for bankruptcy. will my income count on what is calculated for him to declare bankruptcy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">