• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i want my money back from my bridesmaid!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cherokee99

I live in Kentucky. I got married September 14th, 2002. I asked a friend 3 months ahead of time to be in my wedding. I had to pay for her dress, her shoes and her hair being done. The total she owes me is $215. I haven't seen her since and I have asked for the money numerous amount of times. She told me that she would give me my money. I have not seen her since May 2003. I wanted to know how I could get my money back. I've told her that I would take legal action if she didn't pay me back. I have no idea now where she is living or where she works. I believe she owes me the money because the other 3 bridesmaids I had in my wedding paid for their own dress, shoes and hair being done and I believe it is only fair to them that she pay her own stuff as well. I have witnesses, reciepts, and pictures for proof that she owes me. What exactly can I do to get my money back if anything?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cherokee99 said:
I live in Kentucky. I got married September 14th, 2002. I asked a friend 3 months ahead of time to be in my wedding. I had to pay for her dress, her shoes and her hair being done. The total she owes me is $215. I haven't seen her since and I have asked for the money numerous amount of times. She told me that she would give me my money. I have not seen her since May 2003. I wanted to know how I could get my money back. I've told her that I would take legal action if she didn't pay me back. I have no idea now where she is living or where she works. I have witnesses, reciepts, and pictures for proof that she owes me. What exactly can I do to get my money back if anything?

My response:

In all of that, you never stated why you believe she owes you any money. Why doe she owe you?

IAAL

C

cherokee99

my bridesmaid owes me (updated)

Read my post,...it is updated on the reason why I believe my bridesmaid owes me money.;)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: my bridesmaid owes me (updated)

cherokee99 said:
Read my post,...it is updated on the reason why I believe my bridesmaid owes me money.;)

My response:

I don't know how you convinced the other bridesmaids to pay you back, but I can only imagine that you have a terrific power of persuasion, or you really know how to bullsh*t people. I like that in a person.

However, any judge will tell you what I'm about to tell you . . .

You're NOT entitled to the money. This was YOUR wedding. The expenses were for YOUR benefit; i.e., but for your wedding, these expenses would NEVER have been made.

Hey, it was your "party" - - and you can't expect people to pay for your "party streamers or decorations." Unless you had a written agreement for your claim, you'll get nowhere fast with a judge.

IAAL

gobonas99

IAAL - No offense, as I don't know how many weddings you've ever been in...but it is VERY common for bridesmaids to pay for their dress and accessories, and for groomsmen to pay to rent their own tux. Only ONCE have I known someone who paid for their entire wedding parties' attire (and they were VERY well off). In fact, it is usually assumed that as a bridesmaid, you pay for your own dress - so no "persuasion" on the part of the bride is necessary. :D

cherokee - why in the world did you pay for her things in the first place, if everyone else was paying for their own things? You should have told her that, as much as you would love for her to be in your wedding party, you would understand if she can't because she cannot afford it. But instead of doing that, you got taken advantage of, and are now out the $215 (which, by the way, for the dress, shoes AND hair-styling, is quite inexpensive nowadays). I doubt however, that even if you won a small claims suit, that you would ever see the money. And, you said yourself that you don't even know where she lives anymore, anyway. If you don't know that, then you can't even file a claim. I would chalk it up to a lesson learned, and move on.

-Christina :)

Last edited:

JETX

Though I agree that the 'norm' would be for the bridesmaid to pay her own costs, this is a legal issue and is considered just as any other claim of a loan would be.

Cherokee:
1) Do you have this "She told me that she would give me my money" in writing?? Do you have ANYTHING that she signed agreeing to repay you. Simply, without a specific agreement that this was a loan and would be repaid, either in writing or verbal, you have no basis to force her to pay. The proof of this agreement would be on you if this 'debt' were to make it to court.
2) And the second (and larger problem) is that you "have no idea now where she is living or where she works." Without that information, you can't even notice her of your lawsuit or try to force her to pay.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gobonas99 said:
"IAAL - No offense, as I don't know how many weddings you've ever been in...but it is VERY common for bridesmaids to pay for their dress and accessories, and for groomsmen to pay to rent their own tux. Only ONCE have I known someone who paid for their entire wedding parties' attire (and they were VERY well off). In fact, it is usually assumed that as a bridesmaid, you pay for your own dress - so no "persuasion" on the part of the bride is necessary."

=====================================

My response:

I guess the "world" I live in is a bit different than the typical, boorish, "trailer trash customs" that, apparently, other people practice in their "neck of the swamp."

I certainly wouldn't send out invitations to my friends to come to, for example, my birthday party, and say, "Oh, by the way, when you arrive you'll be charged $500.00 to cover dinner, dessert, drinks and entertainment."

It's MY PARTY! Why would I expect anyone to pay for the "privilege" of coming to MY party?

And, why would our writer expect her "friend" to pay for a dress that the "friend" would never wear again, or be caught dead in even at a Halloween party? The wedding was for our writer's "benefit", not the "friend's" benefit!

Geez, how cheap can you get?

IAAL

L

loocpoc

Geez, how cheap can you get?
How about a BYOB wedding? Its sad but I went to one in Myrtle Beach. What makes it even worse was her dad and some buddies provided the entertainment.

JETX

We use to call those 'trash can' parties. Everyone would empty their bottles into a trash can inside the door (hopefully a NEW one!) and then use it as a punch bowl. I can see that wedding now!!
:D

H

hexeliebe

NEW ONE? Damn, maybe that's why I could never get the taste out of my mouth :)

Makes you wonder why I quit drinking.

C

cherokee99

In response to everyone except "i am always liable", thank you. In response to "i am always liable" , ya know, I came to this site looking for facts , not opinions, and especially not to pick a fight with someone who doesn't even know ALL the facts except for what I wrote. Furthermore, I am NOT by far, any part of "trailor trash"...I spent $10,000+ on this wedding and I do as a matter of fact, have witnesses that can vouch for her saying that she will pay me back, a verbal contract, as well as her signature. I also have a producer from Judge Judy saying that I will more than likely win if I took this case to court. I , personally, on another note, do not need any smartaleche answer from someone who apparently has no life. Thank you to all that responded with a factfull and opinionless answer. :)

H

hexeliebe

I also have a producer from Judge Judy saying that I will more than likely win if I took this case to court. I , personally, on another note, do not need any smartaleche answer from someone who apparently has no life
Maybe not, but you definately should get a spelling coach.

As for Judge Judy, you'll be in very good company. Tom Jones (yes, the singer) lost his paternity suit appearing before her in 1972 and was ordered to pay a WHOPPING $200 a week.

Oh, by the way, $10,000 on a wedding may be a lot to you, but the last one I attended set the father back $135,000 and that didn't include the honeymoon nor the overnight guest accommodations.

So take your little case to court. I have a feeling that you're going to get a rude awakening. Last time I looked, a producer is a far cry from an attorney or judge.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cherokee99 said:
In response to everyone except "i am always liable", thank you. In response to "i am always liable" , ya know, I came to this site looking for facts , not opinions, and especially not to pick a fight with someone who doesn't even know ALL the facts except for what I wrote. Furthermore, I am NOT by far, any part of "trailor trash"...I spent $10,000+ on this wedding and I do as a matter of fact, have witnesses that can vouch for her saying that she will pay me back, a verbal contract, as well as her signature. I also have a producer from Judge Judy saying that I will more than likely win if I took this case to court. I , personally, on another note, do not need any smartaleche answer from someone who apparently has no life. Thank you to all that responded with a factfull and opinionless answer. :)

My response:

Oh, really? You have a television "producer" advising you on the law? Let's see, I have been an attorney for 23 plus years, and you're choosing to believe a television producer? I guess you'll believe anyone that agrees with you.

Tell your "producer" that IAAL promises not to "produce" television shows, if the "producer" promises not to practice law.

And, as for "no life", well you're right. Taking the time to answer people like you would make anyone believe that I have "no life".

Good luck finding your friend, and if you do before the applicable Statute of Limitations expires, I wish you good luck. You're going to need it - - especially in front of Judith Sheindlin.

IAAL

C

cherokee99

Spelling has nothing to do with this case and if that's all you have to say then I suggest you take your responses elsewhere. "The last time I looked" you were a "far cry" from many things including an attorney or judge and if you are then I suggest you find another field of work that doesn't include spending all your time on some lameass website getting smart with any one who's opinion differ from yours. Furthermore, I will not be reading anymore responses. Period. This has been a total waste of my time and I should have known better than to look for free advice from anybody claiming they know everything about everything much less lawyers. That's a joke , in my opinion. I will have to apparently take matters into my own hands from now on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">