• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my son with me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

As soon as my son was born, paternity tests were done. The mother and I have never been married and were not together at the time of his birth. She would first let me see him only if I made the 2 hour drive to get him, and she had to come back with us. Then her father took matters into his hands and I haven't seen my son since March '05. The mother went to jail in June and is now in drug rehab. Her father had an order for emergency custody signed by a judge without my knowledge. (I just found out she was in rehab 2 weeks ago) I have a hearing coming up soon, as I was not aware that I had to have a lawyer to establish my rights. I have been dealing with this lawyer for 3 months and lots of money. The hearing (where I found out that she was in rehab) was reset because my lawyer did not notify her of it, but he said that by law he didn't have to. The judge also did not find her in default or contempt for not answering papers that my lawyer had served on her 3 months ago. Also, I always had suspicions about my child's mother and her use of illegal drugs, and now those have been confirmed. Once I get my rights established, I want full custody, as she is obviously not the person who needs to be raising him. Problem is, I have run out of money, and I am not sure what rights the grandfather has. Is there anyway that I can gain custody without a lawyer? Once my rights are established, can't I just get the sheriff to go with me to get my son? The grandfather refuses to let me see him, says that he will meet me somewhere away from his home to see him, but that I cannot take him out of their sight. Please, does anyone have any advice, I cannot let this pass and let her come out of rehab, become a druggie again, and put my baby boy in danger like she has in the past.


R. B. Murray


Under the Radar Member
Were the paternity tests done through the court? Or just something the two of you did to be sure you were the father biologically?


Junior Member
paternity test

The tests were done, at my request, by the Child Support Agency. Now I have been told by my ex's father that she is in rehab. Also, a local girl who knew friends of mine said that she was in rehab with the mother, but noone seems to know where she is other than them. I am trying to get this last hearing over with to establish my rights, but her papers have not been served yet. I need to know if I need a lawyer to get my son since she is in trouble, and since the grandparents and child support agency never notified me when she was taken in. Or can I simply go to the town where they are and demand that the grandparents hand him over?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential