• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lolly

Washington. I have been unhappily married, and now we are on our 15th year of my life going nowhere. He is so bored by life, and interrupting him is a major crime, He is like a child He earns a lot of money (over 300 grand) which keeps increasing, and I have never worked, even before marriage when we lived together as I have a debilitating illness, as he well knows. He only needs a computer to be happy, and I and the kids make him angry. If I stay longer the boys will blame me one day as his temper is like a kid If I knew my dad would come out in my husband raising my kids the same way, I would never have had them. What can I expect out of a divorce with spousal support which is necessary, and child support for two special need sons? I want them to have a good relationship with him and divorce would be best. We own an expensive home. What should I expect? He is getting crueler in his words and I cannot take any more exclusion. I live in a bedroom for fear of making him look so bored at me.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's impossible to tell what the outcome of divorce proceedings would be. Since you don't work, being considered the primary caregiver is likely. Child support generally comes with that, but will depend on numerous factors - including whether you are considered disabled to the point of not being able to work (and no, just saying you can't work will likely not be enough) as well as the extent of your childrens' special needs. Spousal support is also possible, but nothing is guaranteed.

I would strongly suggest you consult with a local attorney to get a better idea of what you're looking at.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Honestly, you ought to start squirreling away money when you can (Washington is a community property state, so his income during marriage is considered to be 50% yours). Then, once you have enough, hire an attorney. With income of over $300k and a divorce that is likely to be highly contentious, it is not going to be a do-it-yourself proposition.

HRZ

Get some WA legal advice now...WA might provide for court ordered interim support and attorney costs .. otherwise it may take forever to build up a suitable war chest on the side?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">