• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to get a divorce!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abbeysmith1025

Hello. I'm from New York. I want to ask a question, maybe someone will tell me what I can doing? I have a husband, we’ve been married for 5 years. Most recently, I met another man and realized that I love him. I want to file for divorce, but my current husband is against it. Tell me, can I get a divorce without his consent? I cannot be with a new man until I divorce my husband.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes, you can get a divorce against your husband's consent. It's called a "contested divorce".

Contested divorces are more expensive than uncontested divorces because the parties are not in agreement.
Contested divorces are not quick. They can take years, and are more emotionally traumatic.
It is wise to retain a lawyer if you are contemplating a contested divorce.

If your husband is a good man, marriage counselling is cheaper.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Hello. I'm from New York. I want to ask a question, maybe someone will tell me what I can doing? I have a husband, we’ve been married for 5 years. Most recently, I met another man and realized that I love him. I want to file for divorce, but my current husband is against it. Tell me, can I get a divorce without his consent? I cannot be with a new man until I divorce my husband.
Perhaps you should consider marital counseling? The "honeymoon" of a new person can be so intoxicating, but it doesn't last. He will belch and fart - just like your husband. He will want to do his own thing - just like your husband. He will no longer see you as his stars and moon - just like your husband. He will cheat on you - just as you have on your husband. Or you'll cheat on him - what you do to one, you will do to the other. Real life will set in - as it has with your husband.

Seriously, darling - grow up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How do you know love this new man? How do you know this new man loves you? Jumping from one relationship to another is NOT healthy. And what is to say that five years down the road you won't be on to another relationship?

t74

I admit I am old fashioned and older than dirt. While not illegal, it is questionable to become involved with another romatically while still married. If he would become involved with you, why would you think he would be loyal to you and not become involved with another person while you were together.

Before seeing a divorce lawyer, see a counselor and get yourself under control.

LdiJ

True, but even before you get to that, doesn't it speak to the moral character of the person in the first place?
It does speak to the moral character. However, if you go back and read the last sentence in her original post, I think that perhaps in this one instance, it might not be a factor.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I admit I am old fashioned and older than dirt. While not illegal, it is questionable to become involved with another romantically while still married. If he would become involved with you, why would you think he would be loyal to you and not become involved with another person while you were together.

Before seeing a divorce lawyer, see a counselor and get yourself under control.
One thing I have taught both of my girls - finish one relationship completely before starting a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">