• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to make a terms of service for making fanart of a character I designed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

|Laurn|

I want to design a character and post it in the art community, I also want to freely use fan art made from said character in other materials like youtube videos by giving full credit to the artist, I just want people to know that by making fan art they are agreeing to my terms and I don´t have to ask for permission to use their fan art, is that how it works?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I want to design a character and post it in the art community, I also want to freely use fan art made from said character in other materials like youtube videos by giving full credit to the artist, I just want people to know that by making fan art they are agreeing to my terms and I don´t have to ask for permission to use their fan art, is that how it works?
What US state?
No matter what state, the creation of legal documents (terms of service is a legal document) is beyond the scope of an internet forum. You should seek out a consultation with a local attorney for assistance.

quincy

You can fashion whatever terms and conditions for use of your character that you want if the character is your own creation.

You will want to sit down with an IP attorney in your area to discuss how best to accomplish your goal, and for help in drafting these terms and conditions, and licenses for use.

Good luck with artwork and future creations.

|Laurn|

What US state?
No matter what state, the creation of legal documents (terms of service is a legal document) is beyond the scope of an internet forum. You should seek out a consultation with a local attorney for assistance.
Thank you!! I will look into that!

|Laurn|

You can fashion whatever terms and conditions for use of your character that you want if the character is your own creation.

You will want to sit down with an IP attorney in your area to discuss how best to accomplish your goal, and for help in drafting these terms and conditions, and licenses for use.

Good luck with artwork and future creations.
Thank you!! I will look into protecting my intellectual property!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">