• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to marry my girlfriend - no papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blitzkriegbop

California - I have a girlfriend that I've been with for over 6 years. Shes 33 years old and has a 6 year old son who was born here, she also has a 17 year old sister that she takes care of because their mom passed away 7 years ago. Shes been here 24 years and attended elementary/middle/high school here. she currently has a job and is paying taxes to the irs, she has a tax id number. we are in a real relationship and I proposed to her last year we want to get married but im not exactly sure how things work with trump in office now, it feels like bad timing. I myself was born and raised here in los angeles california and am a citizen of the united states. What would be the process for us getting married and getting her papers look like? is it safe for her?

xylene

You both need to consult with an immigration attorney before doing anything.

Getting married won't automatically normalize her status.

This could be a very difficult situation for her, and I'd be lying to promise you a happy ending whatever comes.

I celebrate your love and caring. I'm sorry things are this way.

LdiJ

Definitely consult a local immigration attorney, but do not assume anything one way or another before speaking to one.

t74

It depends on whether she is an overstay of a visa or entered without inspection (illegally without a visa). An overstay is generally "forgiven" with a marriage to a US citizen. Otherwise is far more complex.

If you cannot afford a private consultation, social service agencies such a Catholic Charities and Lutheran Relief, to name just two with a national presence, can provide assistance either free or on a sliding scale based on income.

Immigration is a matter of the laws in effect. They are changing so there is no way to predict with certainty what they will be in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">