• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to start a podcast on itunes for music

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frenchtoast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in MA.

I am a professional singer and I would like to record and post my singing voice with performances of Mozart and others with a piano accompanist. I may even want to take donations for future work through pay pal. What copyright laws do I need to be worried about. Most of the songs will be Mozart, Puccini, Wagner, Schumann, and the like but occasionally I would like to get into something like Jerome Kern and Gershwin and 20th century hymnal music. How do I search for patents. I have heard from other musicians that descendants will gladly take money for their permission whether you need their permission or not and many songs have similar names so how do I go about doing a patent search and what information do I really to look for when I find the right one?

-Thanks, Frenchtoast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in MA.

I am a professional singer and I would like to record and post my singing voice with performances of Mozart and others with a piano accompanist. I may even want to take donations for future work through pay pal. What copyright laws do I need to be worried about. Most of the songs will be Mozart, Puccini, Wagner, Schumann, and the like but occasionally I would like to get into something like Jerome Kern and Gershwin and 20th century hymnal music. How do I search for patents. I have heard from other musicians that descendants will gladly take money for their permission whether you need their permission or not and many songs have similar names so how do I go about doing a patent search and what information do I really to look for when I find the right one?

-Thanks, Frenchtoast
Music is not protected by patents, it is protected by copyrights.

Any music published before 1923 is considered to be in the public domain and free from any copyright constraints.

All other stuff you will have to check to see if there is a valid copyright protecting it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">