• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was rear-ended... very stressed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

-StressedOut-

I am in Colorado.
The beginning of August I was rear-ended in my minivan by a very nice man who just wasn't watching where he was going for a second while looking back at his children. His insurance company did cover my van which was wrote off ($3,300+), my medical bills ($348) and a 10 day rental vehicle. They are now offering me $500, up from $300 that they were offering a couple of weeks ago. $500 is better then nothing, but I had a very soar neck for a week, and was very stressed out. Is $500 a fair amount? I am not looking for a big extravogant amount, I can not imagine asking for anything like $5000 or anything. But would $1500 be too much to ask for? I can't find any guidelines on basing the amount you ask for.

MandyD

There really are no guidelines upon which to base your amount of pain and suffering.

Since there is no lasting effects, I'd be happy with the $500 they're offering, but I'm easy to please. :)

ETA: If I could get money from those who have stressed me out, I'd be a very wealthy woman. :)

jpyat

What is your claim worth

Dear Stressed-out:
It all depends on how seriously you have been injured. If you had at least several days of total disability, and then several weeks of partial disability, it is my understanding that, depending on the level of settlements existing in your specific state, you could expect to get a couple of thousands. Your age, education, range of income are also important, as are the actual consequences of the injuries for the changing lifestyle in the aftermath of the accident and how long you have been experiencing them.
In this specific situation, based on the information that you provided us with, if you could persuade the insurance company of the party that caused the accident and, accordingly, your injuries, to go as high as, probably $750.00, I believe you would have received a fair compensation. But, in order to get there, you would probably have to request at least 1K (and attempt to support your position by the factors that have been mentioned above).
Good luck!

-StressedOut-

Thanks

I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to reply. We've settled for approx $800. They were very helpful and forthcoming!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">