• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was run off the road and rolled in a rental car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smartblonde

What is the name of your state? CA
I was renting a car from a rental car agency and paying $275 a month. I was driving along on the freeway, hit from behind and rolled down a 50 foot embankment, and landed upside down. The car was totalled. I hurt my back, neck, knees and shattered my finger. The other driver never reported the accident. His insurance company (Farmers) said he was not covered, the car was not on the policy and denied my claim. I have over $20,000 of medical bills so far. My car rental "agreement" says they have no insurance on the vehicle and any damages are my responsibility! (How can they get away with not having insurance in case the rental driver turns out to be uninsured?) I have no assets, was not working when the accident occurred, and am on disability now. I only had the minimum for uninsured motorists ($15,000). The guy who rented me the car called his insurance agent at State Farm to get me insurance over the phone. I paid him for it and he sent them a check. He ordered uninsured motorist property damage, but after the accident, State Farm said that was not available on a "non-owned policy". They never bothered to tell him or me that this wasn't available, so I thought I had coverage for replacement of the rental car and for me to rent a car in the event of an accident. This is a real mess. I don't know how to find out if the guy who hit me has any assets (so I can sue him). I feel that I was defrauded by my insurance company. I need some advice......

Last edited:

pojo2

WHAT?

>>(How can they get away with not having insurance in case the rental driver turns out to be uninsured?)<<

That is why when renting a car you must submit proof of insurance or buy theirs.

HUH?? You tried to commit fraud and insure AFTER the loss??

>>The guy who rented me the car called his insurance agent at State Farm to get me insurance over the phone. I paid him for it and he sent them a check. He ordered uninsured motorist property damage, but after the accident, State Farm said that was not available on a "non-owned policy". They never bothered to tell him or me that this wasn't available, so I thought I had coverage for replacement of the rental car and for me to rent a car in the event of an accident.<<

Again WHAT??

>>I feel that I was defrauded by my insurance company. <<

You can sue but can you COLLECT from the other guy?

smartblonde

CA. I didn't commit any fraud.. :confused: I had sold my vehicle 2 months before I rented the car, so I had no vehicle and didn't need insurance until I rented the car. The guy who rented me the car called the same day BEFORE I RENTED THE CAR and got the insurance for me from his agent with whom he had done business for over 10 years. He just saved me a trip to the insurance agent's office by telling him he would send him a check (which he did). I paid in cash for the insurance. The insurance agent didn't tell us that the policy wouldn't replace the rental car in case of an accident. We only found out AFTER the accident because the agent didn't tell us that wasn't available on a non-owned vehicle! :mad:

Crazed98

The reason they got you the insurance was so you would be allowed to rent the car and they can make money off you.

You don't have to have full coverage insurance to rent you just need to have a form of car insurance.

You should have purchased the rental insurance and then you would be in the clear.

And btw theres no such thing as a smart blonde. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">