• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Was Screwed Royally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spiritless

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was divorced about 5 years ago. At the end of the divorce a check was sent from my ex to my lawyers where they greedily took out ..now get this $13,000.00 for a no fault no custody divorce.

My ex paid his lawyer only $500.00 for the same divorce. He was in shock when I told him what they took.

I have contacted this company numerous times but to no avail.

I know that this divorce was not worth that much money.

I want back what is rightfully mine. This divorce should not have been over $3000.00 at the most.

Divorce is hard enough on a person. A woman starting over in her 40's and being a stay at home mom for almost 20 years is rough. I was screwed by these lawyers and I don't know how they can sleep at night.

What rights do I have? Please help.

BelizeBreeze

And of course, you signed either a contingency or retainer contract with the attorney and have it in front of you to read to us.

HomeGuru

Spiritless said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was screwed by these lawyers and I don't know how they can sleep at night.

**A: believe me they can. And they can also sleep at day too, while keeping the billable hours clock ticking.........

stephenk

why have you waited 5 years to do something about the money?

did your attorneys send you a letter detailing why they kept that amount of money? How much money in total did your ex forward to your attorneys?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
why have you waited 5 years to do something about the money?

did your attorneys send you a letter detailing why they kept that amount of money? How much money in total did your ex forward to your attorneys?

My response:

It took 5 years because she was probably too drunk to care! Now that she's run out of money to pay for the trailer mortgage, it finally dawned on her that the attorney might be able to pay her some money. She can't work, and needs some whiskey!

Yeah, that's gonna happen . . . :p

IAAL

S

Spiritless

If I was drunk maybe I could handle it and wouldnt give a damn

I don't need half-witted cheap jokes. It is the last thing I need. You know it is not funny when the statistics say that divorced woman are the leading poor in this country. If you find that funny you are sick.
I am trying to find serious answers here.

As to your question Stephen if you read my article you would see it stated that I did try to no avail. I just got a run around. Sometimes you feel hopeless and depressed and give up. Then you have a boost of energy and feel maybe the world isn't as cruel as it seems and there are decent caring people that may be able to help.

It was not all that much money. Maybe 30,000. if that much. Not that much for 20 years of marriage. No they never sent an itemized bill.

I made the point of asking at the beginning what it would be and was told 3-5000.00. I said what is the most it would be and he told me it he had seen as high as $13,000. for lengthy drawn out custody battles.

However we did not fight over property even. It was just wait a year and go to court.

stephenk

was the check made payable only to your attorneys or did you have to sign off on the check?

In any event, you should contact your local bar association and ask about contesting the legal fees of your attorneys. your attorneys will then be required to itemize how they came up with the $13k amount.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, please. Any applicable Statute of Limitations has expired. Simply, you ran out of money because you thought it was party time. You sat on your ass for 5 years. Now that the money is all gone, you're wondering what well you can dip into. You waited to long, and you should have used your money wisely - - but no, it was Bon-Bons and Oprah instead of going to school to learn a Trade or Profession. Life has a way of catching up to a person, doesn't it.

That's your serious, and truthful answer.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
was the check made payable only to your attorneys or did you have to sign off on the check?

In any event, you should contact your local bar association and ask about contesting the legal fees of your attorneys. your attorneys will then be required to itemize how they came up with the $13k amount.

My response:

Sign off on the check? Of course she did!

She can "contact" the Bar Association all she wants. Believe me, the attorneys will come up with an itemization for each and every phone call they made, that she made, and every conference she had with her attorney - - including all the work involved.

Some people think representation is magic and free - - and they start believing their "friends" when the money is all gone after 5 years.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">