• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I won a child support appeal... WHAT ARE MY NEXT OPTIONS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? I am in NY

I won my appeal pro se and the case has been reemanded back to the Family Court for further proceedings. I understand that our american judicial system is such that you will have to return to the very same judge to handle your case (that's beyond me...in many Europeans countries, it's different). I am so afraid of this judge who clearly has been so biased toward me (spare me the details) and has been issuing cruel orders that left me so destitute that the appellate court agreed with me that it was unrealistic to comply with the order and the law was not followed appropriately. What are my options here to get a fair treatment this time around?

1)Can I request that the Family Court designate a different judge to handle this case?

2)Can I ask the judge to recuse himself given the gross mistakes in fact in his order and the blatant prejudice he caused on me as the appellate court agreed?

3)Or, is it that I have no choice,... that's the system. I just have to be docile and pray that he clean his act.

What has been proven to be the best course of action? any thoughts welcome.


Well, that all depends on what he's done? You say, spare the details, but without details, how do you expect a real answer? Normally, you do see the same judge. You can always ask, but they won't always grant you what you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential