• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Would Like To Relocate With My Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? NEW YORK
This is my situation: I have a seven year old daughter and her father and I have never been married.He has never been consistent in her life I would say out of seven years he has been consistent an average of 6 months-1year. I have never denied him the right to see her. In fact I have incouraged it.If it was not for his now deceased mother I would have never found out that he became a correction officer.I then took him to court for child support for the first time.After September 11 my job closed down and I have basicly been out of work ever since.I now would like to move to Georgia for a number a reasons. The cost of living is much cheaper than NY and the schools systems are better than NY. I want a fresh start at trying to get ahead for once.I am 35 yrs old and I don't think being a single mom I can do it in NY. The last time my daughter has spoken to her father was in April. We have no court orders for visitaion or custody only child support.Can I relocate without letting him know or getting his approval? I don't want any trouble legally.



Do the right thing, let him know. Don't kidnap your own kid.


Senior Member
I believe it was IAAL who once said that he could haul your butt back to NY and take you to court. You will need at least six months of residency in GA before you can file for support there. Since he will still have residence in NY, he could retain jurisdiction and make you go back and forth to NY. Also, I believe you have to give 30 days written notice, to give him time to legally object to the move.

Does he pay support? If he either pays support and/or has contact with this child, he has not abandoned the child. While he may be a part-time father, doesn't your child have the right to at least that much?

Isn't there somewhere else in the state of NY that's cheaper? Is every single city in NY state expensive?
Or at least a state close to NY? What if he decided to take the child and move to GA without telling you, would that be ok?

I know it sounds like I'm slamming you but I'm not trying to. Fathers are important to the well being of children IMHO.


Under the Radar Member
Well, Veronica

I grew up in Northern NJ, divorced in Upstate NY, and am now in central NJ - as a single Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential