• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I would love some advise TEXAS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Texas

This is a complicated story I will try to Simplify as best I can. My husband and I agreed to care for his (my husband's)cousin's 8 week old daughter while the parents "got there life together" they were overseas (cousin in army at the time) The military had them sign temporary 'guardianship papers' and we had the baby flown to Texas for what we thought would be a few weeks (until parents were discharged from military) upon receiving the baby we find out that the military had investigated and found parents guilty of child neglect. She had nearly died from hypothermia and malnutrition.
In short we had to file restrining orders to protect the child and eventually we were appointed joint managing conservators. Parents have once a month SUPERVISED visitation. We have had the child for 2 1/2 years. The parents live in Florida and they have visited one time. They were ordered to pay child support and medical support and we've seen only a few payments (that were garnished by his employer) they are close to $5,000 in arrears. We just want the best for this precious one. We consider her our daughter, we are the only family she has ever known, we have two other (bio) daughters 13 and 9. We want to adopt her so we don't have to worry about them springing up on a whim and coming to visit confusing her with "We are your real Mommy and Daddy garbage" did I mention the bio-mom was 16 when she got preg. and she has a 2 babies since (3 in 3 years) There is a lot more to this ridiculous soap opera but these are the basic facts.

Do we have good solid grounds to have their rights revoked?? and adopt And legally change her name so she and her 'sisters' are all the same ??? We really believe it is best for her future. But we understand we are at the mercy of the courts opinion.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions !


Senior Member
Jomac, thank you for taking care of that child! You guys are wonderful! I wonder what happened to the others? *sigh* Anyway, probably best to see a good (call the TX State Bar for a referral) family law attorney for a free/low cost consult. I'm not sure of the laws in your state, but there are few where after a period of time with no support and/or visitation, their parental rights are easily terminated (terminated automatically thru adoption). You can try doing a search to find out what that is in TX. If there is an adoption, a new birth certificate is issued showing you and your husband as the parents, so you can name her anything you would like once the judge puts his signature on it! I highly suggest using an attorney in your case rather then a do it yourself kit. The parents are rather young, probably regretful and might try to contest it.
Good Luck!


Thank you Kat,

I will definatly use an attorney. We have a really good one we used for the custody trial. He is just VERY expensive. We don't have a lot of money and it cost over $6,000 to secure custody. I guess you get what you pay for. Not to mention the expenses of another child. I guess you get what you pay for. I was just wanting to see if we had all of our Legal ducks in a row before we start another ordeal. We are also looking to buy a larger house. I'm not sure we can afford a legal battle and a new house right now. As I have said since this whole ordeal began. God must guide our steps because I'll go nuts if I have to figure it all out !! LOL!
Thanks agin for your input. Have a safe and Happy Labor day Weekend!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential