• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I WROTE A A WRITTEN COMPLAINT RE: DISCRIMINATION, I WAS DEMOTED, SUSPENDED,& FIRED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LORILYE

OUR COMPAINY OPENLY PRACTICED SEGREGATION OF MALE & FEMALE EMPLOYEES DURING MANAGEMENT & SALES MEETINGS? WHEN I WAS TOLD I COULD NOT ATTEND AN ALL MALE MANAGEMENT MEETING, I COMPLAINED IN WRITING TO OUR OWNER.WITH IN THE NE72 HOURS I WAS DEMOTED, SUSPENDED & TERMINATED BY THE OWNER OVER THE TELEPHONE. WON MY UNEMPLOYMENT HEARING BECAUSE EMPLOYER CLAIMED INSUBORDINATION BUT COULD SUPPLY FACTS TO PROVE THIS. I WAS A LOYAL HARD WORKING EMPLOYEE, WHO'S CAREER WAS ENDED OVER WRITING A COMPLAINT NOTE!! I CAN SUPPLY THIS NOTE TO ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT. HOW CAN THIS BE FAIR OR LEGAL? I AM IN MARYLAND, IS THIS DISCRIMINATION OR AN UNLAWFUL DISMISSAL? I AM A WHITE FEMALE. WHO WORKED FOR A COMPANY THAT HAS BEEN IN COURT RELATED BATTLE OVER RACE DISCRIMINATION IN THE PAST. I AM NOT SOMEONE WHO WANTS SOMETHING FOR FREE. I JUST WANTED TO BE TREATED FAIRLY (AS IF I WAS A MALE EMPLOYEE)
I AM NOW UNEMPLOYED & VERY ANGRY) PLEASE HELP
GUIDE ME IN THIS SITUATION.

R

RW

To classify or segregate employees on the basis of sex is gender based sex discrimination. I'm going through a similar situation now. Males staff are not allowed to work with female clients: we're all potential sexual predators/molestors/abusers and can't be trusted! Yet, female staff can work with male or female clients!
Contact the EEOC. You cannot be legally fired for protesting discriminatory practices nor can you be retaliated against by the employer. The fact that your employer fired you shows their astonishing ignorance!
Penalties (depending upon the size of the company) range from $50,000 to $300,000.
You will be sent a form to fill out. The EEOC will require an in person interview with you afterwards.
Your situation points out the danger of trying to .get an abusive/discriminatory employer to see the error of their ways. As you have experienced, it only results in a full scale attack upon the employee! The false accusation of insubordination is just one tool they try to use against you.
It would be good if you had a witness to the practice of segregating employees on the basis of gender- one who is willing to speak up. Or, a written policy about the segregation of employees. However, your ex-employer seems quite arrogant and stupid: they'd probably admit to it and defend the practice!
They have no legitimate business reason for acting this way as far as I can see.
Check out US Code: Title 42, Section 2000e-2
Unlawful employment practices: "It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer- (2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees or applicants for employment in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee because of such individuals race, color, religion, SEX, or national origin."
Since the employer treats all females this way, you could have a class action lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">