• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL:Guru: Jack: Lawrat: LB: SSI Appeal & Attorney Rep

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LadyBlu

Ok all, I just need your take on this basically. I am not questioning the integrity of Lawyers at large but am just curious about this process with SSI Disability.

I have spoken with a couple of attorneys, obviously they feel I have a valid claim or they would not be willing to represent me. My question is this..

They work on a percentage of what my disability payment will be when/if awarded, either 25% or $4,000.00 whichever is less. Now to me it would seem that the longer they were able to drag my case out the better it would be for them. Am I correct?

Now if this is in fact true, wouldnt it be better for me to represent myself at this next level the *Reconsideration* then, if it is not approved hire an attorney?

I guess I should explain that the denial letter I received stated that I could still perform my job duties as a *Receptionist*... well I have never worked in a receptionist position that did not require bending, lifting, filing, reaching and most importantly for you to be there sitting at your desk for 4-6 hrs straight to answer incoming calls.

Due to my back condition this is an impossibility to me.. I at this time in order to be able to sit for 1 hr, require a pillow, heating pad and my chair to be in the reclining position with my feet propped up. If I do not use these measures I wont be able to move without extreme pain and more likely then not will have to crawl to the table to get to a standing position.

Not to mention the prescription pills I need to take on a daily basis to keep myself able to function at least to the point of sitting, standing and lying down.

I spend alot of time daily sitting in a warm tub of water and reclining or lying on a heating pad and alternate with cold packs.

So, knowing these things do you think I should fight this at the reconsideration level on my own? Or go ahead and hire the attorney to represent me?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Who did the original application for you to receive the denial? Either there was a misunderstanding as to your work abilities/inabilties and their results or the forms were not filled out properly.

If this is the case, and you need all of this to help your back (I empathize), then you really need to get a lawyer to adequately rep your interests.

L

LadyBlu

Thanks

Lawrat, I did the initial filing myself. I guess I should have went ahead and had an attorney do that part for me as I would probably have gotten an acceptance letter instead.

I will hire the attorney as you both suggested, and just hope and pray that they get it the paperwork submitted and I can get my hearing soon.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">