• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ice storm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SNOOKY0039

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I work for a school district as a secretary. I am being paid hourly. We had a big ice storm last week and school was closed all week starting on Tuesday.I am now being forced to use my personal leave time (2 days annually) or my sick leave to get paid for the time we couldn't come to work last week. Is that legal?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I work for a school district as a secretary. I am being paid hourly. We had a big ice storm last week and school was closed all week starting on Tuesday.I am now being forced to use my personal leave time (2 days annually) or my sick leave to get paid for the time we couldn't come to work last week. Is that legal?
**A: what did the state DOL tell you when you asked them?

ecmst12

Yes, it is legal. You are a non exempt employee and they are not required to pay you for any time you do not work, regardless of reason. You are lucky that they are letting you use sick time when you do not have enough vacation/personal time to cover the closures, most employers only allow sick time to be used when you're actually sick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">