• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

identity theft on eBay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

resipsa

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello everyone,

My friend had recently informed me that someone had obtained his credit card information + SS#. This unknown person opened an account on eBay and defrauded buyers of $30,000 in a span of two weeks.

He found out upon receiving 2 certified letters from an angry buyer demanding reimbursement. The buyers are all located in Northern California and are seeking to file a state class action against him.

As a layperson, I told this person to call and cancel everyone of his credit cards, call the credit reporting agencies, contact the FCC, the buyers, eBay, his bank, and [email protected].

He tried to file a police report for 4 days but was unsuccessful until the 4th day under the reasoning that he did not suffer any "damage."

What should he expect next? Is there anything else he can do?
How could he dispute intent when his name is written all over the transaction?

Thanks in advance.

RI

racer72

You do not need to post the same question in multiple forums. This does not guarantee a quicker answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">