• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity Theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sid.rae

Hello, My name is Sidney, I live in Kentucky and am looking to rent for the first time. In doing so, I have ran into problems with my Social Security number as well as my credit. When asked to verify my identity for my Social Security card I cannot provide the answers to the questions asking about mortgages/loans, credit, and bank cards, therefore getting locked out of my account. I believe I may be a victim of Identity Theft, and I have no idea what to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, My name is Sidney, I live in Kentucky and am looking to rent for the first time. In doing so, I have ran into problems with my Social Security number as well as my credit. When asked to verify my identity for my Social Security card I cannot provide the answers to the questions asking about mortgages/loans, credit, and bank cards, therefore getting locked out of my account. I believe I may be a victim of Identity Theft, and I have no idea what to do.
http://www.experian.com/help/identity-theft-victim-assistance.html

The other bureaus will have similar pages...you can find them with your favorite search engine.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Are you talking about trying to sign up for an account on the Social Security website? Are you sure you're not just forgetting things - the questions they ask can be pretty obscure and difficult to answer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you talking about trying to sign up for an account on the Social Security website? Are you sure you're not just forgetting things - the questions they ask can be pretty obscure and difficult to answer.
I suspect the OP's referring to the security questions that are asked by the CRAs when you try to establish an online account and/or retrieve a copy of your credit report. They're on par with the Social Security questions.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He did say he was trying to verify his identity for his SS card. I'm not really sure what he is talking about - he's not explaining himself very well.

What else is new.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">