• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IDENTITY THEFT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mboddie

Is it illegal to open someone's smartphone without their consent; waiting, until, they fall asleep, and, then, using the phone's "fingerprint recognition" software, gain access to (steal), information, they would not otherwise, be privy too... And, in addition, send text and email mgs., as if they were the owner?

Last edited:

quincy

Are you located in the U.S? If so, in what state do you reside?

None of what you describe would be legal.

What does your question have to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice?

mboddie

Q1: Are you located in the U.S?
A: yes

Q2: If so, in what state do you reside?
A: Dc/Md/ Va Area

Q3: What does your question have to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice?
A: I, had a legal question to ask... And, maybe, I submitted the queston, to, the wrong audience. If I've offended, it was not intentional.

quincy

Q: What does your question have to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice?
A: I, had a legal question to ask... And, maybe, I submitted the queston, to, the wrong audience. If I've offended, it was not intentional.
Not wrong audience. Not offended. Just wrong forum placement for your thread. :)

What is the name of your state?

mboddie

Q: What is the name of your state?
A: Wash., DC, and, Maryland
Q: Under what "forum placement" should I have submitted?
Q: So a case such as that, would be actionable?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Q1: Are you located in the U.S?
A: yes

Q2: If so, in what state do you reside?
A: Dc/Md/ Va Area

Q3: What does your question have to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice?
What exact state are you in? There are different laws for different states...giving the general area of the US won't help.

quincy

So a case such as that would be actionable?
Possibly.

Whether what you describe is worth pursuing legally depends on the specific state, the information stolen, what messages were sent (and to whom and why) ..

But accessing someone's electronic device without authorization (or exceeding any authorization that was granted) is generally considered a computer crime.

Did you want to provide details?

mboddie

Not wrong audience. Not offended. Just wrong forum placement for your thread. :)

[/QUOTEQ:

Q: What is the name of your state?
A: Wash., DC, and, Maryland
Q: Under what "forum placement" should I have submitted?
Q: So a case such as that, would be actionable?

quincy

Does this involve you? In which one of the states you mention do you reside?

You want to know the laws that might apply for D.C. and for Maryland?

mboddie

Possibly.

Whether what you describe is worth pursuing legally depends on the specific state, the information stolen, what messages were sent (and to whom and why) ..

But accessing someone's electronic device without authorization (or exceeding any authorization that was granted) is generally considered a computer crime.

Well, it's all about a morals crime (murder), fueled, by jealousy, which occured, because, of information obtained, by circumventing, a subject's cell phone "fingerprint" recognition software; to obtain, photos and text mgs of a "telling" nature

mboddie

Possibly.

Well, it's all about a morals crime (murder), fueled, by jealousy, which occured, because, of information obtained, by circumventing, a subject's cell phone "fingerprint" recognition software; to obtain, photos and text mgs of a "telling" nature

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Oh brother... :rolleyes:

If this doesn't involve you then why do you care?

If it does you'll have to do better at providing details than you have so far.

quincy

Murder? You should be speaking to the police and not an Internet forum. Or, if you are involved on the criminal side and not a victim, you should be speaking to an attorney.

Here is a link to computer crimes:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/computer-hacking-and-unauthorized-access-laws.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">