• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If a Judgement is entered aganist me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Newguy115

Hello I am new to the forums and seeking advice. I had a small claims case dismissed with stipulations. I am currently on a payment plan to pay an amount of $330 a month until the $4000 balance is paid in full. However things have slowed down extremely at work these past months. If I decide to stop paying and a judgement is entered aganist me, what action can the plantiff take? I am in Maryland, live in an apartment with my wife and daughter and rent is $1400 a month. I am the only one working. I am still paying of on a 2010 Toyota Camry and only owe $2500 more on it. I am also still paying off on a furniture set, still owe $1700. If judgement is entered aganist me can they take my car or personal belongings? I do not own any real estate.

LdiJ

Hello I am new to the forums and seeking advice. I had a small claims case dismissed with stipulations. I am currently on a payment plan to pay an amount of $330 a month until the $4000 balance is paid in full. However things have slowed down extremely at work these past months. If I decide to stop paying and a judgement is entered aganist me, what action can the plantiff take? I am in Maryland, live in an apartment with my wife and daughter and rent is $1400 a month. I am the only one working. I am still paying of on a 2010 Toyota Camry and only owe $2500 more on it. I am also still paying off on a furniture set, still owe $1700. If judgement is entered aganist me can they take my car or personal belongings? I do not own any real estate.
Do a google search for "can wages be garnished in Maryland". Whether or not wages can be garnished and by how much, apparently varies by county. However a wage garnishment is the one immediate thing you would have to worry about if they got a judgment against you.

Nobody will take anything that you still owe money on, like your car or furniture.

bcr229

Rather than default it would be far better for your wife to work part time for a few hours each week while you're home and available to watch your daughter; I am assuming she is staying home while you work. Maryland will let the creditor garnish your wages and your bank account, so you could wake up one morning and find your account has been drained, especially if you have been paying them by check as all of the info they need for the garnishment order (bank, routing number, and account number) is on the check. They will also throw the court costs on top.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">