• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If a privately sold firearm is used in crime by buyer.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

I'm betting the OP had the gun underpriced and/or they just don't have them in the stores. The HUGE increase in gun sales along with factories being closed has made many guns simply not available at dealers.

Remington 870s even with the modifications mentioned are so common (11,000.000+ produced) and so simple that unless it is a rusted POS it is pretty much like every other 870 out there.

quincy

I'm betting the OP had the gun underpriced and/or they just don't have them in the stores. The HUGE increase in gun sales along with factories being closed has made many guns simply not available at dealers.

Remington 870s even with the modifications mentioned are so common (11,000.000+ produced) and so simple that unless it is a rusted POS it is pretty much like every other 870 out there.
Possibly underpriced. It seems like the buyer knew what he wanted and didn’t care all that much about checking it out.

bcr229

That isn't near the speedy process you see on TV cop shows. FFLs do not report the firearm sale to the ATF. The way one gets tracked is the investigating department contacts the ATF. The ATF contacts the maker to find out the distributor, who tells them the dealer who then looks through their records for they buyer.

This doesn't happen quickly or at least doesn't in any case I've ever seen.
That actually depends on the manufacturer/importer, distributor, and retailer. The bigger ones have given the ATF a direct line to their inventory tracking systems so the National Tracing Center (NTC) may get the info on the buyer within minutes if the OP purchased from somewhere like WalMart or Cabela's. Those businesses found it more cost-effective to create an internal IT system that ATF can use for tracing than to keep people on staff to do traces.

OTOH if the last licensee to transfer the firearm to a non-licensee is a small B&M shop or home-based FFL then the NTC will have to call them and wait for a response. Usually I can turn around a trace in 15 minutes.

OP in the future when you sell, for peace of mind either do the transfer at an FFL or only sell to someone with a valid concealed carry permit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">