• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If a roommate got beat up by someone outside but accuses me, If she calls out the police, will they just arrest me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My Girlfriend and I let a friend of hers stay with us to help her out. She's been here a couple years. She is mentally ill and getting worse every day. She went out the other day and got beat up. She's saying I did it. I didn't touch her. I fear if she calls the police and accuses me, they will lock me up. I'm almost 50 have no criminal record at all. She's out of her mind. Think it may be a medication issue but we have no way to make her go to the Dr. as she doesn't think anything is wrong. Really worried. She is on probation and has a criminal record as well.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My Girlfriend and I let a friend of hers stay with us to help her out. She's been here a couple years. She is mentally ill and getting worse every day. She went out the other day and got beat up. She's saying I did it. I didn't touch her. I fear if she calls the police and accuses me, they will lock me up. I'm almost 50 have no criminal record at all. She's out of her mind. Think it may be a medication issue but we have no way to make her go to the Dr. as she doesn't think anything is wrong. Really worried. She is on probation and has a criminal record as well.
You can call the police before she does, to report that she returned to your residence after getting beaten up. Ask the police at that time about an involuntary commitment to assess her mental health.

Then work on getting her evicted.

You can call the police before she does, to report that she returned to your residence after getting beaten up. Ask the police at that time about an involuntary commitment to assess her mental health.

Then work on getting her evicted.
It's been a couple days, I really don't want to involve police. I just wanted to make sure an accusation wouldn't mean I'd instantly get in trouble if she looks like someone hit her or whatever. At this point I don't put her hurting herself past her. She's out of her mind. My brother lives here too and can attest to the fact that I never touched her.

LdiJ

It's been a couple days, I really don't want to involve police. I just wanted to make sure an accusation wouldn't mean I'd instantly get in trouble if she looks like someone hit her or whatever. At this point I don't put her hurting herself past her. She's out of her mind.
An eviction has nothing to do with the police. (at least to start with). You give her notice to move out. The amount of notice required is based on your state law. If she does not move out by the notice date, then you file in court to evict her. The police don't get involved unless she is legally evicted by a judge and still refuses to leave.

In the meantime, avoid being alone with her. Try to always have a witness or witnesses around you.

An eviction has nothing to do with the police. (at least to start with). You give her notice to move out. The amount of notice required is based on your state law. If she does not move out by the notice date, then you file in court to evict her. The police don't get involved unless she is legally evicted by a judge and still refuses to leave.

In the meantime, avoid being alone with her. Try to always have a witness or witnesses around you.
I want to know if she was to call the police right now, and they come out, and she looks like someone hit her or whatever, and she points at me and says I did it, what will they do. She has no proof that I did it, I have no criminal record, my brother will say I didn't do it, she has a criminal record and is on probation. Getting her evicted could take some time and believe me I'm going to get going on that. I just wanted to make sure an accusation and a bruise or whatever won't equal instant arrest.

quincy

I want to know if she was to call the police right now, and they come out, and she looks like someone hit her or whatever, and she points at me and says I did it, what will they do. She has no proof that I did it, I have no criminal record, my brother will say I didn't do it, she has a criminal record and is on probation. Getting her evicted could take some time and believe me I'm going to get going on that. I just wanted to make sure an accusation and a bruise or whatever won't equal instant arrest.
Yes, the police could believe her story of what happened over your story of what happened. Yes, it is possible in that case that you could be arrested.

That is why I recommend you speak to the police first.

If you seriously believe she is mentally unstable and needs treatment, inquire about involuntary commitments.

If you are unwilling to do anything, there is little we can say.

adjusterjack

I want to know if she was to call the police right now, and they come out, and she looks like someone hit her or whatever, and she points at me and says I did it, what will they do.
They could arrest you on the spot. There's nothing you can say that will deter them from doing so.

The best thing you can do in that case is say nothing and invoke your right to an attorney.

Watch this video to learn why you say nothing no matter what they tell you or ask you.

DON'T TALK TO POLICE - Professor James Duane - YouTube

You can call the police before she does, to report that she returned to your residence after getting beaten up.
Professor Duane's video should make it clear to you what an incredibly bad idea that is.

zddoodah

We have no way of knowing what the police in some unknown city will do in response to a complaint that hasn't actually been made.

I suggest you consult immediately with a local attorney about the quickest way of getting this woman out of your home.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
@Jerry60_1945 ... you're putting a lot of weight on your brother saying you didn't do it, never touched her, etc. but here's the thing. Unless you are physically always together, all he can really attest to is that he's never seen you touch/hit her. So his word may not be of as much help as you seem to be thinking...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
However, if the question is, are the police guaranteed to simply take her word for it and come out and arrest you solely on her word, with no investigation, no questions of you, and simply drag you handcuffed off to jail, the answer to THAT question is No. I'm not saying you can't be arrested; I'm saying it's not a given that they will automatically arrest you on her say-so and nothing else.

The police did come out and they didn't think her claims held much water, but the officer did advise me that if she were to go out and get into a position where she looked just a bit more hurt, then called them again and blamed me, since a report had been filed, I'd likely be arrested. The officer advised me to get away from her until such time as we can get her evicted. I left, so only my wife and brother are there now. Today, she attacked my wife, and struck her. My wife called the police back out, but there was not enough evidence of the assault so they didn't do anything. She (amid a sea of tears) told the police my wife assaulted HER. She's lived there for roughly 2 years. No formal paperwork, we weren't charging her any rent. She gets mail there. We live in a mobile home, that we own, but we don't own the lot. You're supposed to register occupants with the lot owners, and we never did do that. Everyone keeps saying to write up an eviction notice and if she isn't gone in the time you say, change the locks. I argue that you can't do that. I'm many hours away now, I am the owner of the mobile home, we want my wife to be able to go to court etc. How do I grant her the ability to do that? Do I need to give her a power of attorney or such? Any advice as to what steps I need to take are highly appreciated. This woman has destroyed our lives. No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks everyone in advance.

quincy

The police did come out and they didn't think her claims held much water, but the officer did advise me that if she were to go out and get into a position where she looked just a bit more hurt, then called them again and blamed me, since a report had been filed, I'd likely be arrested. The officer advised me to get away from her until such time as we can get her evicted. I left, so only my wife and brother are there now. Today, she attacked my wife, and struck her. My wife called the police back out, but there was not enough evidence of the assault so they didn't do anything. She (amid a sea of tears) told the police my wife assaulted HER. She's lived there for roughly 2 years. No formal paperwork, we weren't charging her any rent. She gets mail there. We live in a mobile home, that we own, but we don't own the lot. You're supposed to register occupants with the lot owners, and we never did do that. Everyone keeps saying to write up an eviction notice and if she isn't gone in the time you say, change the locks. I argue that you can't do that. I'm many hours away now, I am the owner of the mobile home, we want my wife to be able to go to court etc. How do I grant her the ability to do that? Do I need to give her a power of attorney or such? Any advice as to what steps I need to take are highly appreciated. This woman has destroyed our lives. No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks everyone in advance.
Your “wife,” as you say here, or, as you say in your first post, your “girlfriend?”

Are you the sole owner of the mobile home? You can serve your unwanted tenant with a 30-day notice to quit.

You can also report her to her probation officer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">