• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I am diagnosed very late in life with a lifetime disability how far will retro go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

As an adult, you do not claim SSDI off your parents earnings. You receive it based on your own earnings. If you qualify for SSI, you will receive based on a correlation to a potential SSDI offset. Just because you have such a diagnosis, does not mean you automatically will be approved. Retro benefits will be determined when and if you receive an award.

Kelly Rivas

Hmmm

Ok well I am currently on SSI because of my disability and don't have much of a work history (nothing over a couple of months) :eek:

Since I had the disability since birth I was told I could file using their SS insurance. :confused:

Regards

Kelly

Kelly Rivas

I lawyer helper person. But I have to prove that I was disabled before 18 which is given isn't it since Aspergers is evident since a young age?

Does anyone really know about this it seems like no one here is very educated in this area?

I'mTheFather

If your Asperger's diagnosis is such that you have been unable to succeed in school or a job, then the diagnosis was most certainly available before you reached 18 years. That argument just won't fly.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest if SSI is not enough to live on, you discover a way to overcome your disability. Before you come back crying and wailing it can't be done, many others, including myself, have accomplished more with less.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I lawyer helper person. But I have to prove that I was disabled before 18 which is given isn't it since Aspergers is evident since a young age?

Does anyone really know about this it seems like no one here is very educated in this area?
You are not educated in this area. Just because you have Aspergers doesn't mean you are disabled and unable to work.

FlyingRon

It appears he's already convinced them that he's disabled. He's trying to get a windfall by milking the system for retroactive payments.
However, not even withstanding the fact that they're not going to allow him to go back that far, it will be almost impossible to get a disability diagnosis for anything in the Autism spectrum for a child unless it is fairly profound. The standards are higher.

commentator

SSI is as good as it's going to get for this person. No one gets to draw SSDI on their parents wage credits when they become disabled, or at least are initially identified by the social security system as disabled after they are of age.

Betty

I have an immediate family member who was able to get SSDI on Dad's work record (wage credits) but it was proven he was dx with a covered disability before age 18.

OHRoadwarrior

I have an immediate family member who was able to get SSDI on Dad's work record (wage credits) but it was proven he was dx with a covered disability before age 18.
There is a DAC designation, where an adult who was disabled prior to the age of 22, is single and is incapable of substantial gainful employment may qualify as a “Disabled Adult Child” (DAC). In order to collect as a DAC on a parent’s work record, the parent must have died, retired or become disabled. Interestingly enough the SS web site has no info on this that I found. It is from an alternative source.

Betty

Yep - Dad retired - checks payable to Dad for disabled adult child. (age 25 at time) Later Dad died & checks payable to another immediate family member for disabled adult child. I guess I was just saying an adult child can get SSDI on parent's work record since was disabled before 18 per paper work. It could be 22 (didn't do google search) but paper work said dx with a disability before age 18.

Betty

Per the soc. sec. web site:

An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child's benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a "child's" benefit because it is paid on a parent's Social Security earnings record.

The "adult child"—including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild—must be unmarried, age 18 or older, and have a disability that started before age 22.

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify10.htm#age22

However, in the paper work re the case I noted it says beneficiary was disabled before age 18. (of course, that is before 22) I'm not exactly sure why they worded it the way they did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">