• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I loose a lawsuite, how would I be forced to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

The Butcher

What is the name of your state? IL

I have someone suing me over some BS that they say that I owe them. Basically they are lying and my lawyer tells me I have a good case, but I feel I need to be prepared for anything at this point because lawsuits can be unpredictable.

The company who are suing me wants $4000 plus their legal costs, whatever those may be. I wanted to know, if the judgement is against me, how I would be made to pay that much. I do not have that kind of money. That sum is twice my monthly wages and I am in debt up the wazoo. I am very much scared of what will happen if I have to pay this much.:(

Please feel free to contact me at my email at [email protected]. So that I know its not spam, please title your response "Answer to FreeAdvice question".

Thanks

Last edited:

stephenk

do you have a job? If yes, your wages could be garnished.

do you own a house? A lien can be placed on the property.

do you have any savings or checking accounts? They can be levied and emptied.

do you have personal property, ie. car, computer, jewelry, etc? They can be seized and sold.

T

The Butcher

stephenk said:
do you have a job? If yes, your wages could be garnished.

do you own a house? A lien can be placed on the property.

do you have any savings or checking accounts? They can be levied and emptied.

do you have personal property, ie. car, computer, jewelry, etc? They can be seized and sold.

I have a job and I own a house. My accounts? They are just plane empty.

If wages can be garnished, than how much can be? I make about 2 thousand a month.

Also, what does it mean if a lein is placed on the house? I was told once before that it means when I sell the house the creditor would get what they have due.

JETX

"If wages can be garnished, than how much can be?"
*** Illinois has the following EXEMPTION for wages:
15% of gross wages or disposable earnings for workweek up to 45 x fed. min. hourly wage, whichever is greater.
Anything over the exemption can be grabbed.

"Also, what does it mean if a lein is placed on the house?"
*** It means that you cannot sell or refinance the property without first clearing the lien (paying the judgment). Something else to consider.... the judgment accrues interest until paid. The statutory interest in IL is 9% per annum.

T

The Butcher

JETX said:
"If wages can be garnished, than how much can be?"
*** Illinois has the following EXEMPTION for wages:
15% of gross wages or disposable earnings for workweek up to 45 x fed. min. hourly wage, whichever is greater.
Anything over the exemption can be grabbed.

"Also, what does it mean if a lein is placed on the house?"
*** It means that you cannot sell or refinance the property without first clearing the lien (paying the judgment). Something else to consider.... the judgment accrues interest until paid. The statutory interest in IL is 9% per annum.
Thats cool. The schmuck I was dealing with told me he could take my house away. Typical empty threats made by collectors I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">