• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I made a mistake on my federal taxes....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



If I somehow made a $200 error on my 1040A Federal tax form, would they notify me before sucking the money out of my checking account?
$200 recently disappeared from my checking account, and my bank says the Federal Reserve took it. The date on it appears to be the same as the date on my tax check.
Is there a connection?
Is there a way I can contact the IRS to discover if this is the case?



$200 error

Unless you have some previous history with the IRS, they do notify you of errors on the return and bill you for the amount rather than taking the money from your bank account. I would suggest you contact the Federal Reserve to find out why they took the money. If you do want to call the IRS about this, call 1-800-829-1040.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential