• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I marry my boyfriend, Can his ex get part of my salary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

789okforme

I have been dating my boyfriend for 3 years. I have some reservations about getting married to someone with two kids and an ex. One of the questions I have is, If we get married, Can she take him to court and get child support based on his and my combined income or will it just be based on his income? Right now they have joint custody with her having primary physical and him secondary physical custody. She only has them 2 more days a month than he does. CS is a low amount. She won't let him have them anymore than the assigned days because she dosen't to give up CS payment. If she gives the kids to them extra on one month she makes sure to subtract for those days next month.

LegalBeagle

789okforme said:
I have been dating my boyfriend for 3 years. I have some reservations about getting married to someone with two kids and an ex. One of the questions I have is, If we get married, Can she take him to court and get child support based on his and my combined income or will it just be based on his income? Right now they have joint custody with her having primary physical and him secondary physical custody. She only has them 2 more days a month than he does. CS is a low amount. She won't let him have them anymore than the assigned days because she dosen't to give up CS payment. If she gives the kids to them extra on one month she makes sure to subtract for those days next month.
Generally no.. rarely is a non bio parents income taken into account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">