• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I pay a nanny less than $2100, does that mean I am free from any and all tax obligations concerning the nanny?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My wife and I are thinking about hiring a nanny for an upcoming four day stint. The total pay will be less than $2100, the 2019 nanny tax threshold.

Does that I mean I can simply pay the agreed upon hourly rate to the nanny and have no additional tax obligations concerning the nanny? No tax filing obligations? No withholding? No paperwork of any kind?

LdiJ

My wife and I are thinking about hiring a nanny for an upcoming four day stint. The total pay will be less than $2100, the 2019 nanny tax threshold.

Does that I mean I can simply pay the agreed upon hourly rate to the nanny and have no additional tax obligations concerning the nanny? No tax filing obligations? No withholding? No paperwork of any kind?
Who is it that you are thinking about hiring? If you are hiring someone who works for an agency and is paid regular wages by the agency then its a moot issue anyway.

If you are hiring a friend or acquaintance I agree that since you are paying them less than the threshold, you have no further obligation.

This would likely be with a candidate found through care.com, a site that matches nannies with those seeking nannies. They are a matchmaker service. They do not employ nannies and offer them as a service. They do offer a pay service that takes care of nanny taxes for you for a fee, but that's the exception that proves they-arent-an-agency rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">