• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I was defrauded (unknown at the time)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

?Soconfused?

What is the name of your state? California
If I was defrauded when I bought a business and I sold that business to another person, am I liable or the person that sold it to me ? The person states that I didn't have the right to buy so I didn't have the right to sell. we had lawyers involved in the purchase as well.
I don't believe that I was a victim of fraud but the person that purchased from me does. As a result of the transaction the person has a very successful business in the very same location and same business profile as they purchased from me. Also may be using this tactic because they have breached my contract as well, still owing me money.

Just Blue

If I was defrauded when I bought a business and I sold that business to another person, am I liable or the person that sold it to me ? The person states that I didn't have the right to buy so I didn't have the right to sell. we had lawyers involved in the purchase as well.
I don't believe that I was a victim of fraud but the person that purchased from me does. As a result of the transaction the person has a very successful business in the very same location and same business profile as they purchased from me. Also may be using this tactic because they have breached my contract as well, still owing me money.
You should ask your question(s) to the attorney that handled the business purchase.

LdiJ

It sounds to me like its time to lawyer up. I do believe that the person you sold it too is potentially making up stories to get out of paying you the rest of the money they owe you.

quincy

If you purchased a business from someone who did not have rights in the business to sell or who misrepresented material facts about the business, and you in turn sold the business to someone else, both you and the original seller could be held liable for any damages suffered by the new purchaser, as potentially could the lawyers who brokered the original sale between you and the first party.

But facts matter and there are a dearth of them here.

You had a lawyer. You should consult with another one now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">