• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if running away is the only answer then what should be done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
i am a graduated 17 year old, 18 in 8 months who is wondering what kind of damage being listed as a runaway will do to my life. im stuck in a verbally abusive home with a mother who is constantly on medication and too doped up to take care of me, and all of a sudden she wants to Supposedly take responsibilty of me just now. (which is something shes never done.) lets start out about 2 years ago. i ran away from home to a cousins house cause of my parents and the abuse. my mom filed for divorce from my dad and promised she would help me out with school and life in general if i moved back in with her. Which turned out to be a complete Lie. about 2 months ago me and her got in a huge fight and she wanted me gone, she just Couldnt do it anymore. so i left to live with my cousin again. well now my mom is going crazy cause she wants me back. and unfortunately theres nothing to do. ive been down to family court ive tried emancipation. unfortunately you have to have your parents signature on it, which is something that wont happen. who would have thought that the courts were more in favor of abusers than the people being abused. the only options i have are child haven and running away. but what if my mom list's me as a runaway. will that be on my record forever? its not like i would live on the streets i have places to go. i just dont want to leave and be ****ed for the rest of my life. Even though i know if i stay the same thing will happen. PLEASE HELP ME OUT..


Senior Member
What might happen to you depends on the state you live in (which I failed to see listed in your post). A few states have loopholes in the law that will not allow them to forcibly return 17-year-olds to their homes.

Running away might not mess you up for life, but getting a job, college loans, rental agreements, and other assorted legal stuff will be difficult to impossible without mom and dad's approval. And if you get sick or injured, you will have no alternative but to turn to them.

I'd recommend going to a junior college or getting a job so that you can stay out of your parents' way for the next 8 months.

- Carl


I'm a Northern Girl
Running away is NEVER the only answer. You can see if you can live with relatives. You can call CPS. You can talk to a counselor at school.

Running away might not have a long term affect on your life, but it will very definitely screw it up in the short term.


I need advise

Well am 17 years old, and I leave with my mother. I wanted to leave my house because she's always fighting, depressed and we don't get along. I have tried to talk to her , but she just dont try. She comes home from work mad and gets it out on me. Well has I said am 17 going to 18 in 3 months. If I leave my house would it be agaisnt the law? Can she obligate me to come back?I am located in New York City. Please reply I need to know what should I do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential