• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if your wife dies does the state still have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ambrander

What is th e name of your state? nevada my friend wife died of cancer 2 days ago . does tha state still have a case ? see he has a tax check coming soon and he needs to know if they still have the right to take it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm supposing it could depend on what the case is about. If it's regarding back child support, they may well be able to try and collect from the estate.

My condolences to your friend.

A

ambrander

ambrander said:
What is th e name of your state? nevada my friend wife died of cancer 2 days ago . does tha state still have a case ? see he has a tax check coming soon and he needs to know if they still have the right to take it.
I did not get the answer to my question. what I want to know is can my friend close his "case" with child support or not? The back support you spoke of, do you mean that the state will try to collect support for an estate or would a 3rd party have to try to get it? We are mainly concerned with a tax check that is going to be cut loose soon and wheter or not they can take it.

haiku

here is the deal if the dead wife was ever collecting any form of welfare for the child and the father was paying through the state. the father still owes the state until his portion of the welfare for the child is paid, so yes the STATE can still intercept the check fo rmoney owed to the state.

If someone else was/is caring for the child, then they also can be owed any back and future support from the father for the child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well it would be a heck of a lot easier to answer if you were a little more clear. Since you said it's his wife who died - I assumed you meant there was some other third party trying to get money from her before she did.

Is what you meant to say that his *EX*wife died, and she had an open case for back child support against him? I can't say I know what the legal answer is, but the moral answer would be he should be a man and pay what he owes. If it's back alimony - that money could have been used to help defray mdeical bills. If it's back child support - his kids, and whoever is caring for them, could likely use some financial help right now since I bet a lot of $$ had to go for Mom's medical expenses.

That scenario makes more sense, actually - I was a little surprised that someone would be thinking about money 2 days after his wife died.

S

Stormy5

Exactly what I was thinking momma tiger. Gives me the chills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">