• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Ignored red light" Plea guilty or not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soccerfun211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Last night I was pulled over in Bronxville, New York for a passed red signal. I'm young and it has been my first interaction with a cop ever.(pulled over, arrested, etc.) He went through his talking and asked questions and when I was asked if I had known why I was pulled over I answered saying I assume it was for a red light just to speed the process up because it was 2 a.m and my friends and I were still an easy hour and a half away from home. The reason I missed the light was because the stop lights were placed on the far right side of the road and it wasn't clear to me who had to stop or what part had to stop. Never the less I stopped at the light but being lost, dark and scared because of having no clue where we are I treated it like a stop sign almost and just crept through the small intersection (5-10mph) that had no means of other transportation around. Like I said it was my first time being pulled over so I didn't know what to say and the offense wasn't harsh so I thought I would be left of with a warning but instead I have this ticket to fill out. The cop has me on record for saying "I passed the red light" should I plea guilty or not guilty? and what is an estimate for the ticket I will receive if guilty? Thanks any help is appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Last night I was pulled over in Bronxville, New York for a passed red signal. I'm young and it has been my first interaction with a cop ever.(pulled over, arrested, etc.) He went through his talking and asked questions and when I was asked if I had known why I was pulled over I answered saying I assume it was for a red light just to speed the process up because it was 2 a.m and my friends and I were still an easy hour and a half away from home. The reason I missed the light was because the stop lights were placed on the far right side of the road and it wasn't clear to me who had to stop or what part had to stop. Never the less I stopped at the light but being lost, dark and scared because of having no clue where we are I treated it like a stop sign almost and just crept through the small intersection (5-10mph) that had no means of other transportation around. Like I said it was my first time being pulled over so I didn't know what to say and the offense wasn't harsh so I thought I would be left of with a warning but instead I have this ticket to fill out. The cop has me on record for saying "I passed the red light" should I plea guilty or not guilty? and what is an estimate for the ticket I will receive if guilty? Thanks any help is appreciated!
Perhaps you ought to stop running red lights simply because it's convenient.

soccerfun211

Perhaps you ought to stop running red lights simply because it's convenient.
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't saying that I'm asking on your opinion on what to do with ticket for NYS because I've never done this before and I don't know the process. Should I plea guilty or not guilty in your opinion? and what is the average fine for this offence? Or just any other advice that would help. Thanks again for the reply

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Since this is a New York question you don't put down Connecticut as your state. This has nothing to do with Connecticut.

So you were scared? In BRONXVILLE? What on Earth were you scared of? Bronxville is one of the most upscale villages in Westchester County. Geez.

I'll take a guess you're talking about Pondfield Road. The traffic lights are a bit odd there, but there should have been NO confusion that the light was meant for YOU. If the light was facing you then you should have stopped and remained stopped until it turned green.

I'll tell you right now that the judge there in Bronxville is on the tough side.

Enter a not guilty plea and mail the ticket back into the court. DO NOT request a supporting deposition - if you do it will be sent to you and it will make it that much more difficult to deal with the prosecutor.

You'll get an appearance date in the mail for a pre-trial conference. You will attend and speak to the village attorney. He will offer you some type of deal. Whatever he offers you - take it. Pay your fine and move on.

If you insist on a trial you will be very sorry. I can guarantee it.

soccerfun211

Since this is a New York question you don't put down Connecticut as your state. This has nothing to do with Connecticut.

So you were scared? In BRONXVILLE? What on Earth were you scared of? Bronxville is one of the most upscale villages in Westchester County. Geez.

I'll take a guess you're talking about Pondfield Road. The traffic lights are a bit odd there, but there should have been NO confusion that the light was meant for YOU. If the light was facing you then you should have stopped and remained stopped until it turned green.

I'll tell you right now that the judge there in Bronxville is on the tough side.

Enter a not guilty plea and mail the ticket back into the court. DO NOT request a supporting deposition - if you do it will be sent to you and it will make it that much more difficult to deal with the prosecutor.

You'll get an appearance date in the mail for a pre-trial conference. You will attend and speak to the village attorney. He will offer you some type of deal. Whatever he offers you - take it. Pay your fine and move on.

Okay thank you for the advise if I enter guilty will the charges be more severe then if I reply not guilty? I'm almost two hours away from Bronxville so unless the it's dramatically different would it just be better to plea guilty and move on? I looked up fines for this offence and unless Bronxville has more than 1 million people in it my fine is only from $50-100 depening on the judge. So what else is a con of pleading guilty? Thanks again for all the help

donzoh1

It must suck to live in an area where a Defendant can regret asking for a trial. He shouldn't have run the light but really, you're going to hate life if you ask the prosecution to prove its case? I mean i can understand that the fine might be a little higher but that should be about it. I guess people get the government they deserve.

Zigner

It must suck to live in an area where a Defendant can regret asking for a trial. He shouldn't have run the light but really, you're going to hate life if you ask the prosecution to prove its case? I mean i can understand that the fine might be a little higher but that should be about it. I guess people get the government they deserve.
Trials take time and money. Both are precious resources. If the person wants a trial, then they can throw any hope of leniency from the prosecution out the window. It's actually quite logical. Furthermore, requesting a trial on a clearly losing case is not in the OP's best interest. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

donzoh1

Trials take time and money. Both are precious resources. If the person wants a trial, then they can throw any hope of leniency from the prosecution out the window. It's actually quite logical. Furthermore, requesting a trial on a clearly losing case is not in the OP's best interest. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Did I say he should expect leniency?

donzoh1

Your implication was clear.
Then let me be clear about my position aside from implication. I understand and agree that a higher penalty is in order when a Defendant insists on a trial, whether felony, misdemeanor, or infraction. That's why many courts will offer reduced fines pre-trial. What I object to is the practice in some jurisdictions of severe penalty enhancement in those cases when the Defendant asks for a trial (i.e. disqualification from traffic school). Traffic School is no skin off the nose of the court system but in my area anyway, many judges are very open about prohibiting this option post trial, even though this contradicts the California Rules of Court.

Zigner

Then let me be clear about my position aside from implication. I understand and agree that a higher penalty is in order when a Defendant insists on a trial, whether felony, misdemeanor, or infraction. That's why many courts will offer reduced fines pre-trial. What I object to is the practice in some jurisdictions of severe penalty enhancement in those cases when the Defendant asks for a trial (i.e. disqualification from traffic school). Traffic School is no skin off the nose of the court system but in my area anyway, many judges are very open about prohibiting this option post trial, even though this contradicts the California Rules of Court.
You've got it exactly backwards. The penalty is NOT higher when a trial is sought.

HighwayMan

...will the charges be more severe then if I reply not guilty?
CHARGE - singular. Unless you got a ticket for something else too.

If you plead guilty that's it. You lose all chance of a reduction in charge.

I'm almost two hours away from Bronxville so unless the it's dramatically different would it just be better to plea guilty and move on?
That's your call - not mine.

I looked up fines for this offence and unless Bronxville has more than 1 million people in it my fine is only from $50-100 depening on the judge. So what else is a con of pleading guilty?
Those fines sound too low. Or it may be the MINIMUM fines. I don't think any judge in Westchester would hit you with a $50 fine for a red light.

The con of pleading guilty is POINTS on your license. In addition, your insurance premiums may increase.

donzoh1

You've got it exactly backwards. The penalty is NOT higher when a trial is sought.
Let me be sure I understand you. Are you saying that the bail schedule is the same regardless of the plea? If so, I already knew that and never said anything to the contrary. If you're saying that no judge ever reduces the bail/fine/penalty regardless of the plea, that's not what I've found in the past.

HighwayMan

Let me be sure I understand you. Are you saying that the bail schedule is the same regardless of the plea?
There is no "bail schedule" in New York and cash bail is generally not taken in traffic infraction cases. If we don't trust that you will show up in court we arrest you and then you might get to post bail or you'll just be held for arraignment.

California is NOT New York.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">