• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL: Homeowners Insurance Changes initiated by agent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KJK

I am presently selling my home and relocating to another IL town (with more opportunities and family connections) due to downsizing. I stay at my sister's home during the week to be better available for job interviews, networking opportunities, etc. (rather than commuting 71 miles one way to avail myself of such opportunities).

My home (fully insured, with all utilities hooked up & functioning, taxes paid) is visited twice daily by my non-resident father, who comes over & checks on all of the utilities, security of the premises, contents, etc. (Mind you: this is far more attention than my home received when I was employed and travelling ca. 90% of the time on business!).
I visit the home every other weekend (unemployment and rising gas prices make it difficult to make the trip more often) in order to clean (for the prospective buyers), check on the infrastructure (pick up the lawn, etc.) and to sort through my things in preparation for moving when the home does sell.

My insurance agent caught wind of this (due to my change of address to a p. o. box in this town- for my convenience in picking up mail rather than having it held locally, or having to collect it every 14 days), and now wants to discuss my change of address in light of changing the terms of my policy. They have both my auto and homeowners insurance under their wing/in their clutches....for now.....

What ramifications does the aforementioned situation bear on my insurance? I would sincerely appreciate some assistance on this, and would be grateful if you would kindly let me know what my rights/options, etc are in this situation.

Background Information:
Though I initially selected this particular agency due to excellent prior experience with the insurance product (insured by this insurance company, different agency in another state), I have found this particular agency most wearisome. It is almost always a fight to get them to do ANYTHING on my behalf, and they are unwilling to assist me in things that are clearly part & parcel of their 'part of the deal'. I never get the sense that they are working at all on my behalf.
(For instance: they were virtually useless in assisting me when my bicycle was stolen from my garage (despite police documented evidence) and were so whiny and annoying that I just didn't bother filing a claim.
Later the next year: they were highly resistant to assisting me when a car HIT MY HOUSE (which was NOT out 'playing in traffic'!) - they whined so much in trying to discourage me against filing a claim (which I knew darned well that they'd recover through subrogation) that I basically had to ask them (VERY NICELY, without the exasperation I'm exhibiting here): with WHAT EXACTLY sort of situation would they be willing to help me? In short: I can't think of a better reason to file an insurance claim than when someone and their car HITS YOUR HOUSE......THIS is WHY people have insurance, and NO: I DON'T want to do the work I'm hiring them to do with my payment of premium!)

Thanks again for your kind consideration!

ALawyer

Houses that are unoccupied are targets for vandals and thieves. That increases the insurance risk.

They also get paid on the basis of the total premium per policy.

Here they may just be diligent, and making sure that you are not violating terms of the policy by leaving your home abandoned.

Or, maybe they are seeking to cover their profits -- based on prior history -- many areas insurance agents are "rewarded" for writing "good business" (that produces low loss ratios) , or penalized for having written bad business.

K

KJK

Thanks most kindly! I appreciate your response!
I'm just mistrustful of this particular agency- am certain that they're more interested in their interests than mine (understandable to a certain extent but still unfortunate).
Thanks!
kjk

C

CUDALIS

in all reality, an insurance agent- is the 'company'. not only is there the matter of his 'loss ratio', the fact remains that, the house, for intents and purposes is 'unoccupied' this in itself does not qualify for a homeowner policy. the exposure for burglary and vandalism is great. no insurance company wants that risk.while i can sympathize with you, my contention is that this agent is doing his job. another point, filing what the company considers, petty claims, opens you to the possiblity of non-renewal. then what happens when the big loss comes along- no coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">