• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL Law information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tripmine56

Illinois Where can I find information on traffic laws and codes? Very hard to find information on basic laws such as undercover traffic enforcement detainment etc. Here in IL in suburbs of Chicago and Rockford being pulled over by a undercover is not something I think is smart. I find it very hard to believe anyone would think its safe to stop or even ask for help if you have no idea if they are really a officer or not. My tax dollars are being used for Corvette's and Mustangs for Traffic Enforcement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Illinois Where can I find information on traffic laws and codes? Very hard to find information on basic laws such as undercover traffic enforcement detainment etc. Here in IL in suburbs of Chicago and Rockford being pulled over by a undercover is not something I think is smart. I find it very hard to believe anyone would think its safe to stop or even ask for help if you have no idea if they are really a officer or not. My tax dollars are being used for Corvette's and Mustangs for Traffic Enforcement.
Why don't you start with the police? They should be able to point out why their actions are legal. Go from there...

FlyingRon

I doubt you're going to find anything in the state statutes that makes it illegal to use unmarked cars. I suspect that's what you mean by "undercover." I would be reticent to stop for an unmarked, non-uniformed officer as well.

But I agree with Zig, if you have questions about the way the department is run, the department is the first place to direct inquiries. Then if you don't like the answers you get, come back here.

laurakaye

I understand what you're saying about not knowing for sure if it's an officer pulling you over (as opposed to someone posing as an officer). I have always made it a practice to slow down, turn on my emergency blinkers and drive to the nearest populated area (such as a shopping center/restaurant/strip mall parking lot) to pull over. If you're in an isolated area, call 911 and describe the situation while looking for a populated place to pull over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">