• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Baker Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kindness90

I live in Florida and I used to work at a internal medicine dr office and this past June one of the ARNPs' decided to Baker Act which I felt was very unprofessional. It is a story with alot of details but my main question is was the Baker Act legal if the ARNP does not have a master's or a doctorate in psychiatric nursing and if not, is there anything I can do about it? The ARNP signed the Baker Act. The doctor of the office was not in that day. He was at home sick. I was taken away for 2 days away from my children. I have worked at this office for over a year and vented to these people about the stress in my life and they turn around and Baker Act me simply for having a bad day. I have looked up the criteria for Baker Act and I did not meet it all. They have since then locked my patient chart but not before i printed all my office notes. They locked my chart once I told them that I would not be seen as a patient there anymore. Tensions have been high since then and I no longer work at the office. Is there any legal action i can take for emotional & mental distress? They knew my financial situation and decided that it was necessary to take me away from my children for 2 days.

Just Blue

I live in Florida and I used to work at a internal medicine dr office and this past June one of the ARNPs' decided to Baker Act which I felt was very unprofessional. It is a story with alot of details but my main question is was the Baker Act legal if the ARNP does not have a master's or a doctorate in psychiatric nursing and if not, is there anything I can do about it? The ARNP signed the Baker Act. The doctor of the office was not in that day. He was at home sick. I was taken away for 2 days away from my children. I have worked at this office for over a year and vented to these people about the stress in my life and they turn around and Baker Act me simply for having a bad day. I have looked up the criteria for Baker Act and I did not meet it all. They have since then locked my patient chart but not before i printed all my office notes. They locked my chart once I told them that I would not be seen as a patient there anymore. Tensions have been high since then and I no longer work at the office. Is there any legal action i can take for emotional & mental distress? They knew my financial situation and decided that it was necessary to take me away from my children for 2 days.
Please clarify; "vented to these people about the stress in my life".

What was said during your "vent"?

quincy

An ARNP is a licensed nurse.

Did the police take you to the hospital for an evaluation? Were they able to confirm the nurse's belief that you presented as a danger to yourself or others?

I see no legal action for you to pursue against anyone based on the information you have provided.

xylene

OP, you should talk to a lawyer about a medical malpractice if you beleive you did not reach the baker act criteria.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">