• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal? Disallowed because background check contains dismissed case.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix_R

I currently live and work in Florida.

OK, I know... Threads from Uber drivers are common because Uber can pretty much do what they want as far as kicking you off their platform. But my situation is different from any I have found on the internet so far. I believe what they have done to me is illegal.

My question is: Is there any potential illegal activity in Uber's actions based on the facts below?

I had been driving for Uber [eats] for several months when I was abruptly kicked off the platform when Uber re-ran a background check on me.

Their reason?... I recently moved here from a small village in Ohio. I allegedly had forgotten to file a tax form there in 2018. So, I was being charged with failing to file. It came up on the background check and I was immediately kicked off the platform. I was never charged with any crime, I was just being sued by the state. The only path to refute this with Uber is to go through Checkr, the company that does their background checks. There is no way to contact Uber and say: "Hey, wait for a verdict... I haven't done anything wrong!".

I contacted the tax administrator in the village that was suing me and I had the issue resolved on the phone within minutes. I had to contact the prosecutor and pay court costs, but the case was dismissed without issue.

I appealed to Checkr and they sent an updated report to Uber and myself. The new report reads: "Disposition: Dismissed" for the alleged offense.

Uber still refuses to reinstate my driving privileges.

They have assumed I am a liability based on an accusation. Isn't this prejudice of some sort? The specific reason they gave for ending our contractor relationship is the background check issue. I had an excellent driving history with Uber and have a perfect driving record. This issue is the only thing on my background report, it's a blank sheet of paper otherwise.

Please no responses like: "It's in your driver agreement that they can end your contractor relationship for whatever reason they want". Uber cannot exclude themselves from illegal activity in a driver agreement. I believe what they are doing is illegal.

Geeze, I guess If I don't like someone, and I want them to lose their job with Uber, all I have to do is sue them for something. It won't matter if it's a fabricated accusation, it won't matter how the case plays out or what the verdict is... they will become unemployed.

Thanks in advance
-Felix

Last edited:

Just Blue

OK, I know... Threads from Uber drivers are common because Uber can pretty much do what they want as far as kicking you off their platform. But my situation is different from any I have found on the internet so far. I believe what they have done to me is illegal.

My question is: Is there any potential illegal activity in Uber's actions based on the facts below?

I had been driving for Uber [eats] for several months when I was abruptly kicked off the platform when Uber re-ran a background check on me.

Their reason?... I recently moved here from a small village in Ohio. I allegedly had forgotten to file a tax form there in 2018. So, I was being charged with failing to file. It came up on the background check and I was immediately kicked off the platform. I was never charged with any crime, I was just being sued by the state. The only path to refute this with Uber is to go through Checkr, the company that does their background checks. There is no way to contact Uber and say: "Hey, wait for a verdict... I haven't done anything wrong!".

I contacted the tax administrator in the village that was suing me and I had the issue resolved on the phone within minutes. I had to contact the prosecutor and pay court costs, but the case was dismissed without issue.

I appealed to Checkr and they sent an updated report to Uber and myself. The new report reads: "Disposition: Dismissed" for the alleged offense.

They have assumed I am a liability based on an accusation. Isn't this prejudice of some sort? The specific reason they gave for ending our contractor relationship is the background check issue. I had an excellent driving history with Uber and have a perfect driving record. This issue is the only thing on my background report, it's a blank sheet of paper otherwise.

Please no responses like: "It's in your driver agreement that they can end your contractor relationship for whatever reason they want". Uber cannot exclude themselves from illegal activity in a driver agreement. I believe what they are doing is illegal.

Geeze, I guess If I don't like someone, and I want them to lose their job with Uber, all I have to do is sue them for something. It won't matter if it's a fabricated accusation, it won't matter how the case plays out or what the verdict is... they will become unemployed.

Thanks in advance
-Felix
There is nothing illegal in Uber's actions. Not all discrimination violates state/federal law.

quincy

Thanks in advance
-Felix
I agree with Just Blue. I do not see anything in what you write that indicates Uber did anything “illegal.”

Do you know why Uber ran a second background check on you? Do you know if there were any complaints made about you by Uber Eats customers?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going somewhere specific with this. I am asking a question, not rebutting your position.

Felix, what law is it that you believe Uber has violated? If you do not know the name or statute number of the law itself, do it this way: I believe the law prohibits them from firing me because of....

Felix_R

I agree with Just Blue. I do not see anything in what you write that indicates Uber did anything “illegal.”

Do you know why Uber ran a second background check on you? Do you know if there were any complaints made about you by Uber Eats customers?
Thet had complaints in the past about peiple

Read the original post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">