• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal election process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

New mexico
Are you curious about the lawsuit over straight-ticket voting in New Mexico, launched by Unite New Mexico and the Libertarian Party and the Republican Party against Maggie Toulouse Oliver, New Mexico's Secretary of State?

Here is a link to the Court of Appeals Opinion issued February 7:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/innmco20190207283
If your question is on something entirely different, more information is necessary.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes, it is legal, in fact, required. It really doesn't just affect those that own property at the moment. And we haven't required property ownership to vote for a really long time.

quincy

My question was is it legal to have an election for a bond that raises property tax shouldn't just the property owners be able to vote not the general public that don't own property
Oh. The Unite New Mexico suit is more interesting. ;)

I agree with PayrollHRGuy. What you describe is how it works.

ShyCat

My question was is it legal to have an election for a bond that raises property tax shouldn't just the property owners be able to vote not the general public that don't own property
I would hope that you realize that if property taxes rise, renters eventually end up paying higher rents.

PayrollHRGuy

And property owners could once again become renters. All while the bond is being paid off.

Let's also not forget those property owners and corporations that don't live in the jurisdiction that don't get to vote and still have to pay the tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">