• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal eviction/notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

b4ugobye

What is the name of your state? NY
I have rented a house for 5yrs, started as 1yr lease, then month to month lease. I have never missed or been late on rent in this time. My landlord came over to me about 3 weeks ago, and told me verbally I have to move because he wants his elderly inlaws to live in this house. I never received a written eviction notice. This past Sunday, he came knocking again asking us if we have found a place and complaining that he needs the place, not considering that it's Dec, I have 2 children, one being 2yrs old... and my wife and I are both disabled and are on a fixed income.
I know he has the right to have me vacate for whatever his reasons, but is there any right I have to protect myself and my family from being in the streets shortly after christmas, beings he wants me to leave by Dec 31?:confused:

HomeGuru

b4ugobye said:
What is the name of your state? NY
I have rented a house for 5yrs, started as 1yr lease, then month to month lease. I have never missed or been late on rent in this time. My landlord came over to me about 3 weeks ago, and told me verbally I have to move because he wants his elderly inlaws to live in this house. I never received a written eviction notice. This past Sunday, he came knocking again asking us if we have found a place and complaining that he needs the place, not considering that it's Dec, I have 2 children, one being 2yrs old... and my wife and I are both disabled and are on a fixed income.
I know he has the right to have me vacate for whatever his reasons, but is there any right I have to protect myself and my family from being in the streets shortly after christmas, beings he wants me to leave by Dec 31?:confused:
**A: tell him you are looking for a place and start looking. His notice to vacate must be in writing so do not tell him that. Check with your tenant rights office to see if you qualify for any rent control/disability protection etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">