• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal or legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeMariee

I received paperwork from Family Court the other day... I noticed my entire SSN and the other person's entire SSN on the paperwork... I contacted the other person and questioned if our SSN's were on his paperwork and I did let him know his was on mine. He did verify that the number I had was his SSN and he did have mine too!! My information is supposed to be kept confidential... For safety reasons... I called Family Court and left a message (being as nice as I could) I received a call back about 2 days later... The guy I spoke with basically said in a nutshell... "I'm sorry! Our computers are old... gave more excuses... and oh... your personal info is supposed to be kept confidential... I'll address the issue so it doesn't happen again!" The damage is already done!! This other person who has my SSN is a "ticking time bomb" I don't know if he's capable of doing anything with my SSN but I know he has friends who probably do know how to do things with people's SSN's... I've worked very hard on my life... Too far to have someone possibly screw that up for me!! Not sure if this is a legal matter or what to do... HEELLPP!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I received paperwork from Family Court the other day... I noticed my entire SSN and the other person's entire SSN on the paperwork... I contacted the other person and questioned if our SSN's were on his paperwork and I did let him know his was on mine. He did verify that the number I had was his SSN and he did have mine too!! My information is supposed to be kept confidential... For safety reasons... I called Family Court and left a message (being as nice as I could) I received a call back about 2 days later... The guy I spoke with basically said in a nutshell... "I'm sorry! Our computers are old... gave more excuses... and oh... your personal info is supposed to be kept confidential... I'll address the issue so it doesn't happen again!" The damage is already done!! This other person who has my SSN is a "ticking time bomb" I don't know if he's capable of doing anything with my SSN but I know he has friends who probably do know how to do things with people's SSN's... I've worked very hard on my life... Too far to have someone possibly screw that up for me!! Not sure if this is a legal matter or what to do... HEELLPP!!
Sooooooooo.... why did you contact him? Seems that may not have been a great plan, nor alerting him to your SSN being there.

DeeMariee

I contacted him to let him know... we spoke via fb... and if I was to call him on the phone I would block my number. I figured I would say something to him because if I didn't it could have bitten me in the butt! Plus, it's the right thing to do! He's not a threat atm because he's not in one of his "moods" as I call it! Not to mention if anything illegal was going on with the state giving out our SSN's he has every RIGHT to know this!!

DeeMariee

Ps. I shouldn't have to explain why I contacted him or whatever... (I'm a good person! And will do as I see fit) I'm asking for help! So, kindly please don't focus on why I did what I did...

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Depending on who this person is, he may already have had your SSN or had access to it, before this incident occurred. So it's not necessarily the case that this disclosure gave him something he did not already have. And, of course, you now have his SSN, too.

What kind of remedy do you want? Money? You have apparently suffered no damages from this (no financial loss, etc) yet. Lawsuits for money damages compensate you for harm you actually suffer; you don't win anything for what might happen in the future. So right now, even if you had a good claim against the court (and I've not researched it to see if you do) you'd not win anything in a lawsuit because so far you have no damages.

DeeMariee

He never had my SSN... We weren't together long enough... just long enough to conceive a child... He lives in another state... not to far...driving distance... but my personal info was supposed to be kept on the down low!!!

DeeMariee

I'm not getting into personal details... my info has been compromised... my safety and my daughters has been compromised... if he decides to freak out... who knows what he'll do... the state was supposed to protect me and my daughter... which they did not! I don't want money... I want someone's job!! I want a new SSN!!! I want justice! Someone was careless and let this happen!!

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I'm not getting into personal details... my info has been compromised... my safety and my daughters has been compromised... if he decides to freak out... who knows what he'll do... the state was supposed to protect me and my daughter... which they did not! I don't want money... I want someone's job!! I want a new SSN!!! I want justice! Someone was careless and let this happen!!

If you're worried about identity theft, then put a fraud alert through the credit bureaus. If you're afraid of him being a physical threat, file for a protection order (although since he's in another state it's unlikely to be granted).

You can talk to the SSA about getting a new number. Read this for the process: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10064.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

DeeMariee

After doing a little digging... what happened to me... goes against the Privacy and Security Act. I didn't give ANY permission to give out my SSN!! The court neglected their jobs to keep my personal information protected! (Which I did sign paperwork for that!) One of my close friends who's going to College to become a lawyer... said "yeah, I have a case" and gave me a few numbers to call! It's the concept!! Which, no one seems to understand here! I'm not going to sit back and not do anything... which it seems like most would do... I am far from lazy! Smh!

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
! Seriously! Ramp it down! How has this harmed you?!!!? Perhaps! You should speak with a lawyer!!!!!

Here's the thing. Mistakes happen. Okay. What harm do you see being caused by this one? Not hypothetical harm - actual harm. You apparently are not thinking he will hurt you, or you wouldn't have contacted him. Really. And, in all honesty? It's not that hard to track down SSNs if you really want to. And I hope you realize that, as her father, he will have the right to have his child's SSN.

ETA: Also, the Privacy and Security Act requires that the disclosure be intentional and willful. Which I doubt this was.

DeeMariee

rofl! My daughter is 6...and he's never been around nor will he ever! He's not a threat atm... but he will get a bug up his butt at somepoint... it's just a matter of time...and it's all my fault... nothing new with him... he's even willing to give up his rights when my boyfriend is able to adopt my daughter as well. My daughters dna dad owes a lot of money... and yeah left a message with a lawyer! ps. he will NEVER be around my daughter EVER!! It's my job to protect my daughter!!!

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
After doing a little digging... what happened to me... goes against the Privacy and Security Act. I didn't give ANY permission to give out my SSN!! The court neglected their jobs to keep my personal information protected! (Which I did sign paperwork for that!) One of my close friends who's going to College to become a lawyer... said "yeah, I have a case" and gave me a few numbers to call! It's the concept!! Which, no one seems to understand here! Was hoping an actual lawyer would step in and I wouldn't be getting stupid answers here! I'm not going to sit back and not do anything... which it seems like most would do... I am far from lazy! Smh!
Your friend should definitely stay in college if she's telling you you "have a case."!!!! Because the Personal Data and Security Privacy Act was never enacted!!!!! Which means there's nothing to "go against"!!!!!!!

Just Blue

After doing a little digging... what happened to me... goes against the Privacy and Security Act. I didn't give ANY permission to give out my SSN!! The court neglected their jobs to keep my personal information protected! (Which I did sign paperwork for that!) One of my close friends who's going to College to become a lawyer... said "yeah, I have a case" and gave me a few numbers to call! It's the concept!! Which, no one seems to understand here! Was hoping an actual lawyer would step in and I wouldn't be getting stupid answers here! I'm not going to sit back and not do anything... which it seems like most would do... I am far from lazy! Smh!
Tax Matter, who replied to you, is a site vetted attorney. Not a student. An actual attorney. Please don't be rude to the VOLUNTEERS who have taken their time to try and assist you. For FREE!

DeeMariee

Tax Matter, who replied to you, is a site vetted attorney. Not a student. An actual attorney. Please don't be rude to the VOLUNTEERS who have taken their time to try and assist you. For FREE!
I wasn't being rude to them... I reside in NY laws here are a lot different! I'll wait for a call back from my lawyer...

Just Blue

rofl! My daughter is 6...and he's never been around nor will he ever! He's not a threat atm... but he will get a bug up his butt at somepoint... it's just a matter of time...and it's all my fault... nothing new with him... he's even willing to give up his rights when my boyfriend is able to adopt my daughter as well. My daughters dna dad owes a lot of money... and yeah left a message with a lawyer! ps. he will NEVER be around my daughter EVER!! It's my job to protect my daughter!!!
Hate to burst your bubble...but your BF is not able to adopt the child. If you if you manage to find your lost manners I will tell you why he can't adopt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">