• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal or legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
but yes it can be done!! like i said NY is different! Dna dad... owes over 50k. never seen my daughter. doesn't provide for her at all! plus, would you want your child around someone who kills animals for no good reason... or was molested as a child by their own mother and remembers it?? is 30 something.. lives with dad... can't hold a job... better yet get one... family court is giving him 1 more shot to get a job! or they are throwing him in jail.
Wow... you certainly chose a good person to have a child with. Yet, you're still wrong.

DeeMariee

Thank you for FINALLY letting know your state.
And no, you are incorrect; the laws, for what you are talking about, are not so different.

Unless and until you marry your boyfriend, he cannot adopt. Period.

Furthermore, it is fairly standard on NY court documents for the SSNs to appear. When you check off "no information" that is primarily for cases where there is an active protective order and so that your contact information won't be revealed.

I am in NY. I have been to Family Court in NY, albeit in a different county from you. I have, in the past, had a protective order against my ex.

Really?

Because something doesn't add up here - which means a whole lot of lying is going on.

Frankly, if Dad - the legal father, who shares half his DNA with your daughter - if that man wanted to get his act together and be a part of HIS daughter's life, you are in deep doo doo.

the guy i spoke with from court about this matter... even said... the ENTIRE SSN's weren't supposed to be there!!!

DeeMariee

Wow... you certainly chose a good person to have a child with. Yet, you're still wrong.

My daughter was a surprise!! and i was on birth control! and don't judge me... I got out of that relationship real quick! Things like having a kid happen for a reason! How dare you!!! I'm trying not to get nasty with your utter and complete ignorance! But "Miss know it all" your comments and opinions are most certainly not welcomed! ps. No one likes a "know it all" who most certainly doesn't "know it all!" I'm going to believe the judge and my lawyer here!! Worst case... Next time I go visit my Bf's Aunt at her summer home... I'll just stop by the Judge's house and ask him again! (the judge is the neighbor) (Rolls eyes)

DeeMariee

When Parental Consent Is Not Needed for Adoption in New York:
Citation: Dom. Rel. Law § 111
Consent shall not be required of a parent or of any other person having custody of the child:
  • Who evinces an intent to forego his or her parental or custodial rights and obligations as manifested by his or her failure for a period of 6 months to visit the child and communicate with the child or person having legal custody of the child, although able to do so
  • Who has surrendered the child to an authorized agency
  • For whose child a guardian has been appointed
  • Who, by reason of mental illness or mental retardation, is presently and for the foreseeable future unable to provide proper care for the child
  • Who has executed an instrument, which shall be irrevocable, denying the paternity of the child
oh.... found this from a lawyer...
"As a New York family law attorney, I have been asked this and similar questions more times than I can count. In practical terms, parental rights may be "given up" at will, parental responsibilities may not. As a legal matter, these go hand-in-hand and a court order is required for termination. Most courts are loathe to terminate a parent's rights unless and until there is another adult who is ready, willing and able to fill the void. If there is not such a person in your child's life, then the best course of action would be to seek supervised visitation that the interaction between your daughter and her father, however infrequent, can be monitored to ensure your daughter's well being. Also, child support is not only a duty of the parent it is also a right of the child. Consequently, it is not for you to simply waive it because the father isn't a great guy. On the contrary, it is your responsibility to do all that you can to see that child support is paid as it should be. You cannot make the father be a good parent, but you can, at least to some extent, make him accept his financial responsibilities related to his daughter. I suggest you take the time to have at least a brief consult with a local attorney so you can review all your rights, options and obligations pertaining to your daughter and her future. Sometimes a telephone consult can provide you with sufficient information to plan for the future. Good luck!"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeeMariee

Thank you for FINALLY letting know your state.
And no, you are incorrect; the laws, for what you are talking about, are not so different.

Unless and until you marry your boyfriend, he cannot adopt. Period.

Furthermore, it is fairly standard on NY court documents for the SSNs to appear. When you check off "no information" that is primarily for cases where there is an active protective order and so that your contact information won't be revealed.

I am in NY. I have been to Family Court in NY, albeit in a different county from you. I have, in the past, had a protective order against my ex.

Really?

Because something doesn't add up here - which means a whole lot of lying is going on.

Frankly, if Dad - the legal father, who shares half his DNA with your daughter - if that man wanted to get his act together and be a part of HIS daughter's life, you are in deep doo doo.

Court has it documented that DNA Dad wants nothing to do with my daughter! Plus, court also knows he's flipping nuts!

DeeMariee

Um... No, it's not "just like what you said". You are lacking in reading comprehension.

"Most courts are loathe to terminate a parent's rights unless and until there is another adult who is ready, willing and able to fill the void. If there is not such a person in your child's life..." <---that is what the judge and my lawyer both said...

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
My daughter was a surprise!! and i was on birth control! and don't judge me... I got out of that relationship real quick! Things like having a kid happen for a reason! How dare you!!! I'm trying not to get nasty with your utter and complete ignorance! But "Miss know it all" your comments and opinions are most certainly not welcomed! ps. No one likes a "know it all" who most certainly doesn't "know it all!" I'm going to believe the judge and my lawyer here!! Worst case... Next time I go visit my Bf's Aunt at her summer home... I'll just stop by the Judge's house and ask him again! (the judge is the neighbor) (Rolls eyes)
Well, bless your heart. I wasn't the one judging, you were. You were being quite judgmental about the man you chose to have a baby with. But you just go on with your bad self. (And pro-tip? You may want to get your keyboard checked out -- your exclamation mark key seems to be stuck.)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Court has it documented that DNA Dad wants nothing to do with my daughter! Plus, court also knows he's flipping nuts!
And he doesn't have to see his daughter if he doesn't want to. Which is what the link that you posted referred to.

You have a court order for child support. He's a few years in arrears. We have senior posters who are owed 6 figures in arrears. Guess what? Other paren't still has rights.

"Most courts are loathe to terminate a parent's rights unless and until there is another adult who is ready, willing and able to fill the void. If there is not such a person in your child's life..." <---that is what the judge and my lawyer both said...
Again, you are functionally illiterate.

This means: courts don't like to terminate rights. You are not married. New York does not currently recognize common law marriage, and you are too cheap to go to town/city hall and get married, so no, the boyfriend can't do a stepparent adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">