• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal programming for a scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RobertBRichter

I have been hired (subcontract) to write a computer program handling a "multilevel" marketing sceme. The company sells "health powders". If it is found out that this is a scam (cover up for a chain-type scheme), can I be prosecuted? The employer has assured me that everything is legal in his business; that multi-level is not the same as a chain letter. I have very carefully not to become a member of the business--he wanted to give me special privileges in his business for writing the program. Please email [email protected].

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobertBRichter:
I have been hired (subcontract) to write a computer program handling a "multilevel" marketing sceme. The company sells "health powders". If it is found out that this is a scam (cover up for a chain-type scheme), can I be prosecuted? The employer has assured me that everything is legal in his business; that multi-level is not the same as a chain letter. I have very carefully not to become a member of the business--he wanted to give me special privileges in his business for writing the program. Please email [email protected]. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Go ahead, write the program, but SELL IT TO THEM, ONLY. Do not get mixed up in the business, nor take any special priveleges in exchange for your knowledge and work. Multi-level marketing is, in my opinion, a glorified name for "pyramid scheme." There have been so many so-called "vitamin companys" indicted, no one can keep up. Of course he told you that his business is legal. What else was he going to say? However, if he gets indicted under the RICO Statutes, and you are a part of the company, do you think he'll come to your aid?

Selling your product software to them, is no different, in terms of liability, as say, them going to the store and buying software, or reams of paper. Those suppliers have nothing to do with the company, and are therefore not on the hook.

One big tip-off that this is a scheme, is that he's offering you a "piece" of the company in exchange for your work. That means he's undercapitalized, and further means that he's only able to pay suppliers or a landlord with monies he's obtained from others who invest, and thereby, become "blocks" under him in the pyramid.

Keep your distance.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 07, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">