• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal search and seizure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

Of a lot of things ... but guns are the weapon of choice among the "poor and the brown" and the poor and the white. Hard to do driveby knifing.
I suppose that I was unclear, I guess, but the application of the 2nd Amendment. For a poor person - a spring in a knife is a few years in jail. But a projectile weapon, that's inviolate. Even though there are 4.4 handgun murders for murder by knife / edged or stabbing weapon.

Basically knife laws are an excuse to put the poor and brown in jail.

quincy

I suppose that I was unclear, I guess, but the application of the 2nd Amendment. For a poor person - a spring in a knife is a few years in jail. But a projectile weapon, that's inviolate. Even though there are 4.4 handgun murders for murder by knife / edged or stabbing weapon.

Ah. Okay. I misunderstood what you were saying.

There are a lot of excuses used to put "the poor and the brown" in jail. A misapplication of the knife laws is just one of many.

CdwJava

The prohibitions on swithcblades and automatic and gravity knives make about as much sense today as moral panic over zoot suits, and their prohibition come form the same hyper-reactionary and racist place.

Knife is for the poor and the brown and guns are for the rich and landed white. It's just that simple.
Not the case here in anti-gun CA where possession of a concealed dagger can result in prison time, but a loaded and concealed handgun can result in a citation.

One can argue the merits of a spring-loaded knife, but, in general, CA does not permit weapons designed for fighting. We also prohibit brass knuckles and knives designed certain features that strengthen the force of a blow with a knife or without.

CdwJava

I have arrested far more people for possession of a firearm - unlawful possession - than I have for a knife. Why? Because most people do not tend to violate the knife laws. If you're a big, bad criminal, you usually have a gun. If you have a knife, it seems they often have legal knives. Carrying a legal knife on one's hip is lawful, so if you;'re into big, bad knives, that's how you'd do it.

quincy

It sounds like a bad arrest. If Lon.ram and Lon.ram's attorney are right about the knife - and there are no important facts left undisclosed here by Lon.ram - the attorney should be able to get the charge dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">