• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois- Child Support modification without going to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DadIllinois

Illinois
D12

I’m fully aware that you cannot get blood from a turnip (the mother chooses not to work). Is it possible to simply call up DCSS to have them impute income to her and issue an order or would I need to file a petition for modification of child support with the court?

The initial decree is greater than 3 years ago. The Pro Se motion for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities was stipulated to by both parties but child support was not part of the order as there was insufficient status quo. An Agreed Order was entered by my attorney which eliminated child support from me to her as well as terminated all unsupervised parenting time for her. That order is about a year old.

Am I going about this the wrong way by going directly to DCSS?

Has the 3 year clock reset with the change in child support from the Agreed Order?

Thanks folks

DadIllinois

Zigner,

I’ve never had a modification review as far as I can tell. Am I picking the fly stuff out of the pepper? The reason I didn’t request my attorney file for a child support modification is because he told me how much it would cost, the mother would only be required to pay me $40/mo, and that she had no income so I would never see anything anyways.

The child Support payments never went through DCSS so I don’t think they are even aware of either parent.

DadIllinois

Ohiogal,

The initial decree had a downward deviation from guidelines in the amount I paid to the mother. To actually have the mother pay me child support would have required a separate petition (according to my attorney) at a significant additional cost. The juice was not worth the squeeze. Having had limited success Pro Se, I’m not afraid of going this alone (with some assistance from you fine folk of course).

Last edited:

LdiJ

Ohiogal,

The initial decree had a downward deviation from guidelines in the amount I paid to the mother. To actually have the mother pay me child support would have required a separate petition (according to my attorney) at a significant additional cost. The juice was not worth the squeeze. Having had limited success Pro Se, I’m not afraid of going this alone (with some assistance from you fine folk of course).
You can go it alone if you want to. You can do it through the child support enforcement agency as well.

There is lots of info here:

https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/ChildSupport/FormsBrochures/Pages/hfs1759.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">