• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois - DUI + accident 2 parked cars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

napdawg

What is the name of your state? IL

I was recently involved in an accident with two parked cars because I had been drinking. I passed two sobriety tests and failed the brethalyzer. I spent the night in jail and was let out in the morning on my own recognizance(sp?). What are my options? Will I go to jail? Is this a civil case coupled with a criminal case because I hit two parked cars?
Thankfully no one was hurt and I have truly learned my lesson.

Thanks for your help

B

BillyBG

What are my options?
- Stay and face the charges or run to mexico.

Will I go to jail?
- Not sure. You have to await trial where they'll determine your punishment (most likely they'll suspend your license, make you pay a fine).

Is this a civil case coupled with a criminal case because I hit two parked cars?
-Should be separate. Criminal is between you and the state. Civil is between you and the car owners.

drago

"Thankfully no one was hurt and I have truly learned my lesson."

People were hurt and your lesson is not over. People are hurt when their property is damaged. They have the right to pursue you for tortious activity. In English that means you caused damaged by being negligent. In fact, because of the DUI, intent may be presumed and the stakes could get very high.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">