• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Law about Assets and Property after Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moona

I am Illinois resident about to get married in couple of months. I have assets and property that I had purchased and want to keep it separate after marriage as its a joint venture where a friend of mine is 50% partner. My question is can I keep the property and assets separate after marriage ? Do we need a prenupital agreement to make this clear and without any abiguity in case of unforeseen circumstances? What is Illinios family in these circumstances? Please advise.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
In most non community property states (and Illinois is not a community property state) your share of the the appreciation in the value of that joint venture during the period of the marriage is going to be considered marital property. A prenuptial agreement might solve that problem for you. I'd strongly recommend you see a family law attorney in your state about this issue if it is really important to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">