• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm 27 weeks pregnant, an ER RN and being forced to work with COVID patients.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlyJeanRy

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight regarding navigating caring for known or rule out COVID patients while pregnant. Up until this point, our census had been very low and I had not been required to go in any of these rooms. Now with census rebounding, I was taken into the office today to discuss how I cannot refuse to care for known or suspected COVID patients. The policy we have in place at my establishment supports you avoiding caring for these patient populations once you reach 36 weeks.

While many studies suggest the virus can't be transmitted to the fetus, some articles I read state that some newborns were tested merely moments after birth and they were positive. So that instills doubt for me. I am also concerned because pregnancy can negatively effect your immune system and pregnant woman are at increased risk of respiratory illness at baseline, even in a non pandemic world. Even if the baby doesn't get COVID, but I do, there are negative implications upon the baby from things like fever and poor oxygenation in the mother. I also read there's a clear link to preterm labor with pregnant women who are diagnosed with COVID. I have also found a lot of data to suggest that preterm labor occurs consistently in mother's with COVID.

I expressed to my boss that I am uncomfortable with caring for these patients because of potential risks to my child and myself. This was met with statistical reassurances of why it is low risk and there is no data that suggests it will be harmful to my baby. While some may find me to be rigid and unreasonable in my refusal to care for COVID patients- I feel that this advice and conclusion has been drawn based on an absence of evidence, rather than an absence of risk. This virus is too new for any real data to be obtained and conclusions to be drawn. Without any real clinical reassurance of safety, I am not willing for my unborn child to become an experiment. I am very stressed about working directly with these patients where I am exposed and they can potential quarantine my own baby from me for 14 days after birth if there's concerns I've been exposed or have symptoms.

Since refusing to care for patients being tested for or confirmed with COVID, my boss has asked me to contact HR for an "accommodation" to work elsewhere within the hospital. I have not heard back. In the interim, my boss's solution to avoid COVID has been to work in our psychiatric hallway. The last two shifts, not only did I have patient's being tested and on precautions for COVID but I also have patient's with strong history of agitation, aggression and violence against themselves and staff.

Does anyone know what my rights would be in a situation like this? While I await reassignment within the hospital, these are my two options for patient care and I am uncomfortable due to the risks to my baby in either case.

Can I be fired for refusal to expose myself and my baby?
Or would that be discrimination because I am only refusing due to concerns related to my pregnancy?
Would I qualify for unemployment if they fired me?

Any other pregnant nurses or know anyone who is dealing with similar situations and how they are handling it?

I would appreciate any insight or recommendations, I am kind of at a loss for how to proceed.

adjusterjack

Can I be fired for refusal to expose myself and my baby?
"Can" denotes the ability to do something. Not whether it's done rightly or wrongly. So, yes, you CAN be fired for refusing work.

Or would that be discrimination because I am only refusing due to concerns related to my pregnancy?
Probably not, since they are offering you accommodations. The law gives employers a lot of leeway in offering reasonable accommodations.

Would I qualify for unemployment if they fired me?
Dunno. These days it's anybody's guess.

Any other pregnant nurses or know anyone who is dealing with similar situations and how they are handling it?
I'm sure there are many who are handling it in a variety of different ways in a variety of different job settings in a variety of different locations.

Bottom line: You do what you have to do to keep you and your baby safe and deal with the consequences later.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I worked Psych (Acute Adult) until the day before my daughter was born. Granted, it was not during the Covid-19 era.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">