• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm afraid opposing council is crossing a line that could cost me my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cinhanfritz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Washington state
opposing party sent me their response declaration to mine at the deadline for filing, the email stated documents being filed with the court. They weren't actually filed with the court until 7!days after the hearing. They did the same thing regarding scheduling a settlement conference, I checked with the clerk and was told nothing regarding my custody case has been set.

quincy

Washington state
opposing party sent me their response declaration to mine at the deadline for filing, the email stated documents being filed with the court. They weren't actually filed with the court until 7!days after the hearing. They did the same thing regarding scheduling a settlement conference, I checked with the clerk and was told nothing regarding my custody case has been set.
Why do you fear the other party's failure to file documents with the court and schedule a settlement conference could cost you your son?

LdiJ

Why do you fear the other party's failure to file documents with the court and schedule a settlement conference could cost you your son?
I hope that the OP comes back and clarifies, but I am interpreting that as the OP has either missed or is afraid of missing a hearing and losing by default. However, I could be stretching so I hope that the OP comes back and clarifies.

quincy

I hope that the OP comes back and clarifies, but I am interpreting that as the OP has either missed or is afraid of missing a hearing and losing by default. However, I could be stretching so I hope that the OP comes back and clarifies.
Your interpretation seems a reasonable one. Clarification would be nice. :)

latigo

Washington state
So what is your question? While you are thinking of one let me ask you.

Do you actually think that you can persuade others to believe that the court will rule against you because the other party (supposedly) has missed filing deadlines?

If your case has nothing more to support it than that sort of illogical reasoning, you may indeed come in second.

latigo

I hope that the OP comes back and clarifies, but I am interpreting that as the OP has either missed or is afraid of missing a hearing and losing by default. (?) However, I could be stretching so I hope that the OP comes back and clarifies.
The OP losing by default when
. . . nothing regarding my custody case has been set.
While you are waiting for ''clarification" perhaps you could take the time to explain how you managed to refinance the mortgage on your marital home "into just your name" using only your husband's power of attorney.

Just Blue

The OP losing by default when

While you are waiting for ''clarification" perhaps you could take the time to explain how you managed to refinance the mortgage on your marital home "into just your name" using only your husband's power of attorney.
Totally out of line. IF you have an issues with another member of this site let admin know. Don't be petty and off topic.

quincy

... Do you actually think that you can persuade others to believe that the court will rule against you because the other party (supposedly) has missed filing deadlines? ...
It is my feeling, because this thread has been placed in the Legal Ethics/Lawyer Malpractice section, that Cinhanfritz is asking if it is unethical or perhaps malpractice for a lawyer for the opposing party to misinform the unrepresented party about court fillings.

It could be both, if the misinformation leads to a missed hearing or a missed deadline.

I believe that is what LdiJ surmised.

Again, though, having Cinhanfritz return to explain would be preferable to our guessing.

latigo

Totally out of line. IF you have an issues with another member of this site let admin know. Don't be petty and off topic.
Thanks Mr. speed bump, but I don't require your help in negotiating this website.

Enjoy the first of May! Get out and protest something.

quincy

Come on, latigo. Please stop messing up another thread with comments best left to private messages. If you have a complaint about a forum member, address this off the board or contact the moderator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">