• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm Concerned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AL
My ex-husband and I have joint legal custody of our 4 year old daughter. We have agreed (b/c I've insisted) that he has his visitation at his parents' home because he lives in a college town, in a campus apt., with a male roommate and I don't believe that this is an appropriate environment for our daughter. However, he decides ever now and then to take her regardless of what I say. This past weekend, I found out they'd gone there AFTER the fact, and was quite upset. He told me that they went swimming. However, when I asked my little girl about what she did, she informed me that her daddy's roommate took her swimming that night while her daddy watched the football game.This is very alarming to me and shows his lack of ability to make appropriate decisions.Not only that but when I calmly tried to discuss this with him, he said that she wasn't telling the truth.Believe me,she isn't lying.He always makes me out to be the bad guy and says that I have no right to say what he does with her on his time.But when it comes to her being in an appropriate environment, I believe I have every right. Do I??? I'm so concerned for the well-being and safety of my child.


Senior Member
do you have a court order outlining visitations and where they are to take place?

if you do and the court has not prohibited your ex from having his daughter at his home, then he has every right to do so.

I understand your concern but he is her parent too, do you really think he wants her to get hurt?

let him parent his way, you wouldn't take kindly to his interference with your parenting.


Senior Member
unfortunatly you dont have that right. As long as he is not harming your daughter or endangering her, he can do what he wants with her on his visitation time, as you can do what you want without his say so.

But you say that you "agreed" that is visitation would be at his parents house? is this in the court order? if so then he is violating the court order when he has visitation at his house, but if not then there is really nothing you can do.


Junior Member
He didn't have a place of this own at the time so there is nothing specific in the papers. But I know personally because it happened to me when I was small, that you can't be too trusting of other people. I think he put her in a potentially bad situation. And he lied about it all. And called his own daughter a liar. He doesn't spend any quality time with her on his time and she never wants to go. And his mental stability has always been in question.


Senior Member
nikinoo said:
says that I have no right to say what he does with her on his time
He's 100% right. Once you got divorced, you gave the court sole permission to determine who does what via court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential