• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

im due a raise but i havent received it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boogdie

What is the name of your state? ohio
I work for a company where it states in the handbook that on the anniversity of your hire date you are to receive a raise, i have been there over three years and i havent received a raise yet. they keep putting me and other employees off, no one says anything because they are afraid they will be fired, what can we do? :confused:

pattytx

What does your manager say? What does HR say when you bring this up?
There is no legal requirement that you receive a raise at any time, however, and the company is not legally required to follow all the policies in the handbook unless that policy is required by law, or the handbook rises to the level of a valid, enforceable contract, which is hardly EVER the case.

If they are not following through, and aren't going to, you have no legal recourse. You may want to polish up the resume and start looking for another job.

WBService

IL

Patty, I have no doubt that you may be right that the company isn't legally required to follow all policies in its handbook.

If that be the case, can they fire an employee for not following a company handbook guideline?

I know you may put this under the category "Life's not fair", but it would seem that they would be just as obligated to follow THEIR guidelines as I am.

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, life isn't fair.

Most handbooks have statements to the effect that they are not contracts and that the employer reserves the right to bypass their policies as circumstances require.

In some cases, following the handbook right down the line can be UNfair to the employee and it's only by ignoring the policy that an employee can get justice.

For example, let's say that the handbook states that when an employee in his first year of employment has been late or absent three times without getting prior authorization, they will be disciplined.

On Monday, Dave, who has worked for the employer for six months, has a flat tire on his way to work. On Thursday, Dave's wife and kids come down with food poisoning and Dave has to take them all to the emergency room. By the time he gets them through the process, home, into bed and he gets to work, he's two hours late. The following week, Dave is behind an overturned truck on the highway which causes a five mile backup and Dave is late for the third time in two weeks. Should Dave be disciplined? Or should the employer, in fairness, overlook the part of the handbook that says he should be and let it go since Dave had no control over the situations?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">